Monday, November 18, 2013

Review: Jewelry in Candles by Alexis Rutherford


 Reviewer ~ Lynda Hardy

For the past three weeks, my home has been full of the scent I most associate with Autumn - Pumpkin!  This is because I've been lighting my delicious-scented Pumpkin Souffle candle sent to me from Alexis Rutherford of Jewelry in Candles.




This wonderful company creates pillar candles in lidded glass jars that not only are delightful to smell and very slow burning for long use, but they come with a piece of jewelry inside - as the customer, you can choose to receive a ring in your size, earrings, or a necklace, ranging in value from $10.00 to 'several thousand dollars' according to the website.

For mine, I chose earrings.  The selection process was easy, and delivery was fast.  When the box arrived, I could smell the heady aroma of pumpkin pie even before I got it open. The candle was well packaged, and I couldn't wait to set it up.  I think it was  the perfect addition to my Halloween decorations!

Over the next several days, I lit my Pumpkin Souffle candle for at least a couple hours each day, eagerly waiting for the jewelry packet appear.  It was nearly a week before enough of the candle had burned away to see it, which was both nervewracking and a real positive - Jewelry in Candle's products burn slowly and maintain their scent well, making it a product that gives enjoyment for a really long while.

That said, I was so excited to see the jewelry packet peeping out, and it was very difficult to resist hacking into it or otherwise cheating to get at it faster.  I resisted temptation until it was nearly completely freed, only using a fork at the end to work it loose where it was attached to the jar.

The packet was a foil pouch I set aside to allow the melted wax to cool.  I was a little worried that my poking at it with a fork might have let wax get on the jewelry inside, but once I opened the foil pouch, I discovered the earrings were safely contained inside a sealed plastic bag.

The earrings I received are dangles on posts, with a rhinestone X design and a pearl bead hanging beneath it - they are quite cute, dressy enough to wear for an event without being too formal or stuffy.  I sometimes have sensitivities to earrings, so I knew I might not be able to wear them for long, but I was able to keep them on for a full day with only minor irritation that passed before the end of the day.  I will wear these often, as they are attractive and neutral enough to go with most things.

One thing I would have appreciated was an information sheet explaining the composition of the jewelry piece - that is, what were  the metal and stones used?  Additionally, since the jewelry is listed as having a variable value, it would be nice to know what value the piece one receives actually is.

Other than that one suggestion, though, I found the entire experience a great deal of fun, and would happily choose Jewelry in Candles again not only for myself but as gifts for others.  As I said earlier - the candle is still going strong and I expect I will be able to burn it daily until the end of the year.  According to Alexis, these last from between 100-150 hours!

In addition to being a wonderful Christmas or birthday gift, Alexis Rutherford suggested that these might be perfect as bridesmaids' gifts, and I agree! The combination of a solid, longlasting home decor item coupled with the mystery and enchantment of uncovering a piece of jewelry to keep long after really do make this a memorable gift for the women on your list.

Alex also let me know that in just a few more days there will be several new scents available in addition to those currently online, many of them seasonal.  Orders are currently taking 7-10 days, so there will still be plenty of time to order once they're out.  The new scents are Winter Pine, Christmas Wreath, Frankincense and Myrrh, Merry Mistletoe, Pecan Pie, Gentleman, Hazelnut Coffee, Honeysuckle, Island Hibiscus, and two 3-layered candles: Tranquility (Lavender, Vanilla, Day at the Spa), Neapolitan (Strawberry, Vanilla, Chocolate). 

To order, go to Alex Rutherford's store: Jewelry in Candles by Alexis Rutherford.

***

This post was originally posted at WAHM Review and is being cross posted here by the original author.  I received no monetary compensation for this review, however I did receive free product for review. All opinions are my own. Click here see our full disclosure policy.

5 comments:

  1. What a great gift idea! Sometimes I buy a candle and then forget to burn it. This one would go very quickly :)
    Might be my Christmas gifts for next year...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad that you explained the Jewelry in Candles to me. I was a little confused before I read your review. This is a cool gift idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How neat. I would love to gift this for Christmas because my family loves candles and this makes them more fun!

    ReplyDelete