Thursday, August 10, 2017

Peppery Peach Skillet Chicken


This month's Improv Cooking Challenge was Peaches and Peppers - a flavor combination that sounded just like late summer to me!

This summer has been pretty busy and otherwise challenging, so I wasn't going to be up to doing anything insanely complicated, and I'm glad of that, because in my quest to find a simple way to bring these flavors together, I managed to come up with something that instantly went onto our list of favorites to work into the menu regularly.

I got my inspiration and starting point here, switching out the basil for Hatch chiles and some red pepper flakes, giving it a more piquant flavor balance that was both more to our taste, but also would meet this challenge.

It hits all the right buttons here - good protein, good fruits and veggies, and tastes rich and well seasoned without being overloaded with either fat or sugar. (There's a bit of each because moderation is a delicious thing!)

For the two of us it made one hearty meal for two plus lunches for the next day.

Here's what I did:

Peppery Peach Skillet Chicken Over Quinoa
serves 4

6 chicken thighs (boneless/skinless)
2 med. Vidalia onions, chopped
2 T. olive oil
3 cloves of garlic, minced
sea salt to taste
coarsely ground black pepper to taste
red pepper flakes to taste
1/3 white balsamic vinegar
1 T. raw honey
2-3 peaches, pitted and sliced
1 lg. can fire roasted diced tomatoes with juice
1 can green chiles (I used diced Hatch chiles)

1 cup quinoa
2 cups rice

In a large, deep skillet, heat olive oil and add onions, cooking until softened and starting to brown (if you like, continue cooling on low heat for about 20 minutes to caramelize).

Push onions to the edges of the pan, and add chicken.  Season with salt, black pepper and red pepper flakes as desired and sear both sides of the chicken.

The chicken will not yet be fully cooked inside.

Remove chicken to a plate and set aside.

Add minced garlic, and cook on medium for just a few seconds until fragrant, then add white balsamic vinegar (regular balsamic will also be fine).

Cook on medium for a couple of minutes, until the liquid has reduced by half.  Stir in honey.

Add peaches, canned tomatoes and green chiles to pan, and stir to combine.

Nestle chicken into the tomato blend, season again with salt, pepper and red pepper flakes if needed, and cover.

Let simmer for 15 minutes, while making quinoa:  combine quinoa and 2 cups water in a pot and bring to boil.

Reduce to low and cover, cooking for 15 minutes.  Fluff with fork.

To serve, place a a serving of quinoa in a shallow bowl and top with chicken and plenty of of the tomato and peach sauce.

Enjoy!



Because this was so popular in our house, I realized it could easily be made with frozen sliced peaches making it an equally good and satisfying meal deep in the heart of winter.  And I expect it will be!


20 comments:

  1. Oh wow! I love one skillet dinners (& so do my dishwashers! They hate my blog days...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds really good! I've been looking for some recipes using quinoa and you can't go wrong with peaches and chicken.

    I followed you here from Full Plate Thursday. I'd love to have to drop by my blog one of these days. Have a beautiful afternoon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would absolutely love this dinner! Even better that it is already gluten-free! The blending of Hatch chiles with Vidalia onions adds even more balanced flavors. Brava!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! I haven't tried adding peaches to any of my chicken dishes! This sounds so delicious! Thanks for sharing at Fiesta Friday party!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the green chili's with the peaches, this will be a great combo for the chicken! Hope you are having a great weekend and thanks so much for sharing with us at Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks delicious! Thanks for sharing at the What's for Dinner link up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this combination of flavors! All things I try to have on hand and yet I never thought to put it all together

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks really appraising I am definitely going to give it a try#inspirememonday@_karendennis

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks really appraising I am definitely going to give it a try#inspirememonday@_karendennis

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks so yummy! Thanks for sharing the recipe with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi there, this would fit perfectly in Food on Friday: August under the theme. Hope you bring it on over to share with everybody. Cheers from Carole's Chatter

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for linking up at The Blogger’s Pit Stop Link Party. I’m sharing your link on social media.
    Carol (“Mimi”) from Home with Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lynda, This dish looks totally delicious! We eat chicken so often, it's wonderful to have new recipes to make. Thanks so much for sharing. Pinned.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is so creative! It looks wonderful. Thanks for linking up to #fridayfrivolity! xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations!
    Your recipe is featured on Full Plate Thursday this week, I have pinned it to our features board. Thanks so much for sharing it with us and have a great weekend!
    Come Back Soon,
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such a yummy flavor combo! This recipe is being Featured at the new Merry Monday party starting tonight! Pinned and schedule to my FB page.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This s such a different flavour combination. Brilliant and I can't wait to play with this. Pinning. YUM

    ReplyDelete
  18. I must try this tasty combination - it sounds delicious

    ReplyDelete
  19. This looks like a great dinner.

    Thanks for sharing with us at Waste Not Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Looks delish! Thanks for linking up to the Creative K Kids' Tasty Tuesday - don't forget to join us for this weeks linky party!

    ReplyDelete