Friday, August 25, 2017

August Stitch Fix Show-off


I wanted to share my August Stitch Fix box before the month entirely gets away from me - can you believe we are only days away from September already?!  How did that happen?

This month, my stylist put together a really fun collection playing on neutrals and the color red, which is a color that never fails to make me feel cheerful and confident.  I was really pleased to see her selections!

Not all of them turned out to work me (and let's be honest - my wallet is glad that doesn't always happen!), but they were almost all in the general area of what I like.

Let's start with the items that didn't work out:


These three pieces, for various reasons, had to be returned - but look how great they look together? On the right person, this would be a terribly cute outfit.

Starting with the easiest choice of things to not keep, the Love & Legends Janessa Wide Leg Capri Pants with drawstring waist didn't appeal on any level (other than that it's a good neutral that goes well with the reds in the box).

They were way too small on me - enough that I couldn't take a picture of me wearing them even if I was inclined to.  Since Stitch Fix allows for exchanges, that isn't a deal-breaker, but they had other problems.

The fabric was thin and the cut means, if they did fit, they'd be comfortable and able to breathe, but it also means they looked very limp and pretty unattractive.

Pretty much, they screamed 'clean out the garage clothes' - and we don't have a garage.

I didn't really need my husband to weigh in on these (sometimes, I do need a second opinion), but the headshaking and pleading look was all I needed to set these aside for returns even if I had been on the fence about them.

Ok!  Now that the worst is out of the way let's go on to happier parts of this box!

Shoes!  I've been on the prowl all summer for a pair of shoes I can wear with pants and dresses.  It's not easy to select shoes for me, because I have several criteria that are non-negotiable.

I have disabilities that make it impossible for me to wear heels or take any risk of slipping. So I need shoes that are flat but have good soles on the outside so I don't slide, and good support on the inside.

Additionally, I really (REALLY) dislike open toed shoes on me.  Closed toed sandals that meet all this criteria are out there but hard to track down.  Closed toed flats or clogs are more commonly available, but still it is a challenge.

I thought these Mesh Knit Alpargata Slip-On Toms might be a winner!  But here again, they were too small (this is now multiple times Toms have been too small when I'm already asking for a half size larger than I normally wear, so hmm....)

Within just a couple minutes of wearing them to show off, I felt blisters developing on the upper back of my heel, and I didn't love the way the front of the shoe is put together by folding over the fabric. It looks a little awkwardly styled, to me.


But still - very cute, especially with the other items in the box.

Now we're getting really close - I loved this top in the box and it hits all the right warm spots - the Eden Society Teresa Embroidery Detail Top is an airy peasant style top that feels very reminiscent of Ukrainian folkwear in both its colorfulness and the delicious embroidery along the front and at the shoulders.

The fabric is quite sheer, which is a thing to keep in mind when choosing what goes underneath it.  I tried it on with the white jeans I kept from last month and the Toms that were in the box.

Unfortunately, there was something about the cut of this that simply didn't play well with my shape - it set a little shorter than I'd like for something that would otherwise be a bit airy.

To fit my pear-shaped body, it needed just a little bit of flare to avoid being too body hugging around the hips.

Finally, I am coming to realize that I always feel awkward when my shoulders are highlighted by this sort of football jersey graphic element that makes them look too small (or too big... or just hunched? Not sure).

Again I think this is because I am lower body heavy - I just don't need an optical illusion that makes me shoulders look even smaller in comparison to my hips.

So, as much as I liked this top in series - and really want  to see more embroidered pieces while they're still in style! - I put this on the return pile and turned my attention to the last two pieces.


I am not even kidding - I'd have probably cried if this next top, the Crescent Amparo Tie Neck Tunic hadn't fit. I loved it that much when I first saw it.

This is a very lightweight fabric, but with sleeves, so I'll be able to enjoy it throughout the fall with a sweater or jacket to go with it.

The length is a good bit longer than the first top, which I am much more comfortable with.

Best of all? POM POMS!

Around the bottom hem and the sleeves are an adorable bit of white trim of tiny pom poms!

I've already worn this a couple times - it goes quite nicely with both the white jeans and with regular jeans and I think it'd be really cute with a straight skirt, too.

Also, my husband gets smiley and comments on the pom poms every single time - hah! We belong together.

I expect to have this in regular rotation come cooler weather with leggings and boots and a shawl or sweater.  Winner Winner!


Lastly,  I receive a red and white floral maxi wrap dress with a high-low hem and ruffles (this whole collection was about hitting current trends, wasn't it?)

This is Honey Punch Daniella Faux Wrap Maxi Dress. I haven't worn it other than to try it on, yet - there is a white inner lining that I appreciate a lot but it does add warmth and bulk that are too much for the humid days we've had this month.

But I will be making up excuses to wear it once the weather gets cooler!

It is completely open in the front with the wrap belt running through a hole at the side, so once I sorted out how to put it on, it is pretty easy to get on and adjusted as needed.

The front is higher but not too high - it hits just about six inches above my ankles.  The wrap V-neck and the sleeves are both really attractive, I think and the pattern is seriously cute.

It's been a long time since I wore ruffles around a skirt like this, but I really like them, too!

I think this dress could easily be dressed up or worn for a reasonably casual event with a few switches in accessories, shoes and the like. I'd love to try it with a denim jacket, but I also think any of several shawls in my closet would work nicely here.

I tried it on with my boots even though it was way too hot to keep them on more than a few minutes.

Showing off the lining.

So that was it for me this time - two really great pieces, both of which I can wear well into the coming Autumn months, and I learned a few more things about what really works or doesn't work for me compared to what I think will or won't.

Ok then - ready or not, September, here we come!


Stitch Fix (this is my referal link - if you sign up via this link, I'll receive a credit toward my own next box.)



11 comments:

  1. Lynda, the whole box was really a pretty collection! And that first outfit that you couldn't wear is really cute! But I love the items you did keep. They both look GREAT on you!
    :) gwingal

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the red shoes Lynda and also the red and white top just perfect for me. Thanks for sharing with us at #overthemoon link party. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such cute selection! I do love the way the two you kept look on you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for linking up to Top of the World Style. I love the top with the stiching and the floral dress. You look stunning in red!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the dress Hun, thanks so much for sharing on Fabulous Friday Link-up. Jacqui
    www.mummabstylish.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would've kept the dress as well. The floral print seems perfect for Fall and the ruffle along the hem is a fabulous detail. Thank you for sharing your post on my Fine-Whatever link up.

    Rena
    www.finewhateverblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. The two pieces you've kept are definitely my favourites. I love the length of the dress and the ruffle hem. Thanks for linking up!

    Emma xxx
    www.style-splash.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lynda, your stylist picks looks so cute, flowy, and cozy. My favorite is the tunic.

    #ProductReviewParty

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am loving those shoes. I love wearing canvas shoes because they are so comfy. I need to get me a red pair (my favorite color).

    ReplyDelete
  10. filmic pro apk is the paid version of filmic apk where you can capture videos and footages. If you are using an expensive smartphone with a great camera, you must use filmic pro apk latest version. This app will help you to convey your phone shooted videos to a professional camera shooted video. Also, the app can be used in film making.
    https://apkmodule.com/filmic-pro-apk/

    ReplyDelete
  11. these kind of dresses seems very comfortable specially for the old peoples and your work is very good stitching is a great skill and you are looking very beautiful in pictures, i wanna buy it for my mum. but because of exams pressure i am not able to go for shopping and as the assignments are also there for that i am taking help of operations assignment help online service to complete my work.

    ReplyDelete