Thursday, January 22, 2015

No-Sew Baby Leggings Tutorial



As soon as I settled on the fact that I was doing cloth diapers, I subsequently knew leggings would be a big part of our lives as well! 

Why? Well, look, if I’m going going to pay $15 for something for my kid to poop in, I’ll be damned if I’m covering it with pants. Furthermore, with the challenge of my child’s Clubfoot Treatment, leggings became an even bigger MUST! 

However, those suckers can definitely add up the pennies. I managed to get a decent handful from a co-op but otherwise they are pretty pricy brand-new.

I’ve seen many tutorials for making your own, but they all require a skill I don’t possess - sewing! 


I knew I would be able to figure out another way, and now I’m happy to share that way here.

I used to be a badass derby girl (ok lets be real - I played for barely 4 months..). Between that and my fashionably questionable adolescence, I had an abundance of knee highs in every color and pattern.

So here's what I did.


No-Sew Baby Leggings from Repurposed Knee-Highs



Supplies needed:

Knee High socks
Scissors
Liquid stitch
Elastic trim
20oz soda or water bottle


So here is the easy-peasy no sew, knee high into leggings tutorial:

1. Cut the heel off of an adult’s knee high sock. Some patterns (like stripes) make this easier to ensure it's straight across.

2. Pull sock onto the skinnier part of the bottle. Make sure you are not over stretching the sock.

3. Apply liquid stitch to the edge of the sock.  Cut the correct length of trim and apply to the sock with the liquid stitch. Hold tightly in place for 30 seconds.

Allow 24hrs to set before washing.

That’s it!



I’ll be honest, there are also many times that in a hurry, I cut the socks and didn’t add trim. I just placed the jagged edge to the top of her leg and you can’t even notice!

Note: So it took me a few tries to get the technique right. I was confused by the logic of the elastic and how to ensure it still had stretch to it when I applied the trim.  At first I was pulling the sock over the middle part of the soda bottle, which was leaving no give to the elastic when I removed it.

Eventually I realized that pulling it to the small part of a bottle worked (a mountain dew bottle is best!). It held it on tight, but allowed the elastic to go on relaxed.


http://rchreviews.blogspot.com/p/hops.html
and


   We were Featured!


Scrapality.com


http://www.stonecottageadventures.com

22 comments:

  1. You had me at NO SEW!!!! I am pinning and hoping to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute!! I have 4 month old grandbaby that's gonna need a pair of these!! Hey I would love for you to share your stuff on My 2 Favorite Things on Thursday Link Party!! It's still open!!
    http://www.cookinandcraftin.com/my-2-favorite-things-on-thursday-link-party-3/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute! Thanks for linking up to #brilliantblogposts

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome way to upcycle and cute too. Thanks for sharing with Scraptastic Saturdays.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stopping by from Sunday's Best linkup. How cute are these Derby Girl, lol. I would have never thought about recycling knee highs. Have you thought about selling these on Etsy? I think moms and grandmas would jump on them. I think you have a money maker. Thanks for linking up, and I hope you share more of your great posts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is neat and so cute, too! :) Glad to have found this via Meandering Mondays!

    ReplyDelete
  7. how super cute I always loved these for the little ones
    come see me at http://shopannies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so clever! Thanks for sharing them with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a clever idea! Thanks for sharing this on the Art of Home-Making Mondays!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Smart idea! These things are so cute. Thank you for joining Home Sweet Home.
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  11. Super cute! And practical (I don't sew either). :) Thanks for linking up to Works for Me Wednesday!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. cute thanks for sharing wonderful idea to Hearth and Soul blog hop. Pinning.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What an ingenious idea! Love it. They are super cute. Thanks for linking up at #mum-bomonday

    ReplyDelete
  14. Adorable and oh, so clever! I'd like to feature this post at Tuesdays with a Twist this week! -Marci @ Stone Cottage Adventures

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello cute lady! I’m loving it. Pinned and tweeted. Thank you so much for partying with us. I hope to see you tonight at 7 pm. We love to party with you! Happy Monday! Lou Lou Girls

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the little knee heart patches. Such a cute idea. Thank you for contributing to The Sunday Brunch Magazine, Great to see you, Kind Regards Eliza & Bel

    ReplyDelete
  17. Cute leggings for babies, I love it. Thanks for sharing, for baby socks visit our page White + Warren. Thanks ! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Helpful baby leggings tutorial. I love seeing baby girl and boy clothes. You may also find lovely baby clothes from sweet little giggles .

    ReplyDelete
  19. Anyone who are looking for baby clothes online , this is the place where people can buy whatever they want buy for kids clothes, no matter that you are looking for single purchasing or as wholesale marketing, you can find here best collection of wholesale baby clothes and baby pajama, baby leggings on wholesale rate. excellent work guys,

    ReplyDelete