Sunday, February 10, 2019

Cottage Pie with Mashed Cauliflower #eattheworld


This month's Eat the World Challenge is hosted by Evelyn of CulturEatz, and takes us to England!  I'm joining several bloggers as we explore and try recipes from around the world on the 10th of each month.



This month, I'm sharing Cottage Pie - a great, hearty old-fashioned dish  that, like many Americans, I mistakenly called Shepherd's Pie for many years. But Shepherd's Pie is made with lamb or mutton - when it's made with beef, it's Cottage Pie.

I haven't made this in awhile, but when I have, I usually use leftover mashed potatoes. This time around, I decided to make it low-carb and switched it up for mashed cauliflower.  It worked out well and was even better the next day as leftovers!  The next time I do this, I'm going to make up the mashed cauliflower the day before and let it chill overnight to give it some extra time to thicken up.

This can also be made when any leftover vegetables you have on hand.

Cottage Pie with Mashed Cauliflower
serves 4
recipe inspired by Living Chirpy

Filling:
1 lb ground beef
2 Tblsp. Worcestershire Sauce
2 Tblsp. olive oil
2 carrots, peeled and diced
2 celery stalks, diced
1 onion, minced
2 tsp. Italian seasoning
1 14 oz. can diced tomatoes
2 cups beef broth
1 3 oz. can tomato paste
Salt & Pepper to taste

Topping:
1 head of cauliflower, cut into chunks
1/2 stick of butter
2 tsp. garlic powder
Salt & pepper to taste
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup grated Parmesan
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese

Put cauliflower chunks into the top of a steamer pot over boiling water, and cook until tender (20-30 minutes).

Put steamed cauliflower into a blender, along with butter, garlic, salt, pepper, and cream and whip to a puree.  Fold in half the cheddar, mixing to melt the cheese in the hot cauliflower. Set aside. (Or overnight in the refrigerator).

Brown the ground beef and season with Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper.  Add oil, onions, carrots and celery, and cook on medium heat until the vegetables are softened.

Add broth, tomatoes, tomato paste and Italian seasoning and simmer for about 45 minutes until vegetables are fully tender and liquid has cooked down and thickened.

Turn meat and vegetable filling into a casserole dish and spread evenly.  Top with the cauliflower mash, and sprinkle remaining cheese over the top.

Bake for 30 minutes, then give it 5 minutes under the broiler until bubbly and slightly browned.

Enjoy!



Check out all the wonderful English dishes prepared by fellow Eat the World members and share with #eattheworld. Click here to find out how to join and have fun exploring a country a month in the kitchen with us!

Simply Inspired Meals: Wizarding World Beef and Guinness Stew 




15 comments:

  1. We've always called it wrong! Good to know, thank you :-) . It looks great, must taste so good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the cauliflower mash instead of potatoes. I never realized that the name was dependent on the type of meat. I always thought they could be used interchangeably....like supper and dinner LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol right?? I got it wrong so long I wind up saying "We're having Cottage Pie.. you know, Shepherd's Pie?"

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess everyone just learned the difference between shepherd's and cottage pies. I was reading Amy's post just now and went, "Aaahhhh!" Thanks for sharing this, Lynda.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your idea of using cauliflower mash instead of potatoes. What a wonderful way to lighten up this delicious dish. You've made me hungry for this wonderful comfort food!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never hear of cottage pie but this sounds good. Thanks for sharing at Merry Monday, see you next week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this!! It sounds so hearty and healthy. Thanks for sharing at the What's for Dinner party. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks so good! Cauliflower mash is really good, too. Delicious.
    #celebrateyourstorylinkup

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks delish and bonus points for the use of cauliflower. Stop by and link this delish dish up if you get a chance.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great idea! We often make cottage pie too with mashed potatoes; I never thought of trying mashed cauliflower but it looks delicious. Pinned.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your recipe looks delicious! I didn't know the difference between Shepherd's Pie and Cottage Pie - learned something new! Thanks for sharing with us at The Blogger's Pit Stop!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yum, I am making this one! I just pinned it. Happy Weekend, Kippi #kippiathome

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is one of my Featured Post this week at Merry Monday for One Dish Dinners. Pinned. I wanted to Tag you in my Instagram post but can't seem to find you on IG. Can you send me your link please?

    ReplyDelete
  14. The cauliflower is a great substitute for a topping for this delicious pie! Hope you are having a good week and staying warm. Thanks so much for sharing with us at Full Plate Thursday!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  15. Bravo, this phrase came in just the right place! Also visit here: Feeta.pk Apartments for rent in lahore . Keep up the great writing.

    ReplyDelete