Monday, February 24, 2014

How-to: Create a Simple Magnetized Container

The more we recycle, the more often I find myself looking at 'trash' with an eye to how it might be repurposed.  A used spice tin seemed to be full of possible uses but it sat tucked away at the back of the counter for a good long while before inspiration struck.

Inspiration came in the form of my fruitlessly searching for five minutes for a pen to jot a 'quick note', and realizing that I do this all the time.  I keep a magnetized notepad on the refrigerator, so it seemed like the obvious answer was to keep pens with it.  I considered and rejected attaching one to some sort of string, and then saw the dry mustard can.

I had some strong magnets on hand, and applied two of them with a small dab of Super Glue - trust me, for a container you want two because otherwise, as soon as you put anything into it, it will spin in a circle and empty the contents out onto the floor.


With these two magnets, it stays put and neither flips or slides down the refrigerator even when it is filled with small items.

While this could be covered with decorative paper or fabric, I quite like the cheery yellow label, and have my eye on a couple more spice tins that aren't empty yet.

If I didn't already have a notepad, I'd be happy keeping a stack of scratch paper in a tin for notes, and I also think this would be a nice container for frequently referred-to recipe cards.

Other than the drying time for the glue, putting this together took far less than the time it took to find my wayward pens to tuck into it, and I'm very pleased with the results!

***

 Have you checked out our current giveaways?  You can enter to win a lovely hand-crocheted beanie from Golden Hands Design until Monday, March 3rd, or a copy of the Let's Potty Boardgame that will help prepare your child for potty-training, until March 11!



Shared with: 
~ A Round Tuit, Block Party, Busy Monday, Clever Chicks Blog Hop, Craft-O-Manic Monday, Craftastic Monday, Frugal Crafty Home Blog Hop, Give Me the Goods Monday, Homemade Mondays, Homestead Blog Hop, Inspiration Monday, Mad Skills Party, Make Your Home Sing Monday, Marvelous Mondays, Masterpiece Monday, Mix It Up Monday, Mod Mix Monday, Monday Funday, More the Merrier Monday, Mostly Homemade Monday, Motivation Monday, Much Ado About Monday, Natural Living Monday, Sweet Sharing Monday.
~ Anti-Procrastination Tuesday, Backyard Farming Connection, Be Inspired, Brag About It Link Party, Create - Link - Inspire, Do Tell TuesdayGood Tips Tuesdays, Growing Homemakers Tuesday, Handmade Tuesday, Hearth & Soul Blog Hop, Knick of Time TuesdayNifty Thrifty Tuesday, One Project At a Time, The Scoop, Share It Link Party, Share Your Stuff Tuesday, Take It On Tuesday, Time To Sparkle, Too Cute Tuesday, Totally Talented Tuesday, Treasure Box Tuesday, Turn It Up Tuesday, Tuesday Talent Show, Tuesdays at Our Home, Tuesdays Treasures,Tutorial Tuesday, Two Cup Tuesday, You're Gonna Love It Tuesday.
~ Cast Party Wednesday, Chic By You Wednesday, Down Home Blog Hop, Fluster's Creative Muster, Homemaking Link Up, Homemaking Party, Inspiration Board, Link Up Wednesday, Lovely Ladies Linky, Party On the Porch, Penny Pinching Party, Pretty Wednesday, Show + Tell Wednesday, Wake Up Wednesday, We Did It Wednesday, Wednesday Round Up, Wednesday Whatsits, Welcome Home Wednesday, What We Accomplished, What's It Wednesday, Whatever Goes Wednesday, Whimsy Wednesday, Wicked Awesome Wednesday, Wonderful Wednesday, Wonderfully Creative Wednesday, Works For Me Wednesday, Wow Me Wednesday, Your Whims Wednesday.                                                          

7 comments:

  1. Awesome idea! I would love for you to share on my Chic By You Linky Party. Hope to see you there. ChicByTab

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a simple, yet great idea! I am definitely going to start looking at things around the house a bit differently.

    Thanks so much for sharing on Turn It Up Tuesday! We love having you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea and so simple!
    Thanks for visiting and linking up with us at Good Tips Tuesday - http://www.sherrylwilson.com/good-tips-tuesday-8/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did something similar, too, to hold chalk for some chalk board message magnets. So handy and a great reuse of material. Love the vintage style tin you have.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this idea- it repurposes and makes something very handy! I seem to spend quite a bit of time looking for pens, too. I agree- I like the tin as is without a covering. The color is cheerful and the label is classic and interesting! Thank you for sharing this with us at Treasure Box Tuesday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great idea! I'm always looking for those lost pens in the kitchen. :)

    ReplyDelete