Saturday, February 8, 2014

Roast Beets and Feta Cheese

With Valentine's Day coming up on Friday, our thoughts may be turning toward creating a special meal for the occasion.  It's fun to think about chocolate and sweets, but don't forget to include something a bit more savory.

One possibility that includes in season root veggies, is a simple Beet and Feta salad or side dish.  Beets are a naturally sweet vegetable that comes in a variety of colors from the familiar dark red to a brilliant yellow.  Their flesh is juicy and quite nutritious as well as delicious, and they're a visually appealing addition to a special meal.

Preparing them is simple, as long as you take due care to protect your work surface from stains.  The easiest way to cook a beet is to scrub them, put them into a foil lined baking dish, drizzle with a bit of olive oil, then wrap the foil loosely around the beets, and let them cook at 400F for about 45 minutes.

(Take note - the beets in my picture did not come with the greens intact, and the stems were cut all the way to the beets. If you can get them with the greens on, that's better! Cut the greens about an inch away from the beet and set them aside.  Leaving a little creates a handle, and makes them less messy to deal with.)

Once they're done, the skins will slide off fairly easily (or can be cut away with a paring knife).  Chop the beets into bite sized chunks.

I had a pair of red beets, and a pair of golden beets when I made this, and I really loved how the colors played together - the golden beets wound up stained by the deeper red beets, giving them a rosy pink color.  I simply sprinkled a nice bit of feta cheese over the top to serve.  Goat cheese would have been great here, too!




We chose to just have the beets and feta, but this could easily be made more substantial, by nestling the beets in a bed of mixed lettuces (or steamed beet greens!).  I didn't find that they needed any additional dressing, but a very simple lemon and olive oil dressing would have worked, or for added sweetness, a drizzle of honey over the top.

If you haven't experienced fresh beets, give them a try.  The play of reds and white will add a festive and special touch to your Valentine's Day dinner of your loved one's favorite dishes.



Boogieboard Cottage

Tasty Tuesdays


***

Have you checked out our review of Tiffin Trove? Go check it out, and enter the giveaway for a months' free 3-meal box of homecooked Indian recipes and beautiful gifts from India.  I loved it so much that I've subscribed!

Shared with:
~ Get Schooled Saturday, Link Party Palooza, Serenity Saturday, Show & Tell Saturday, Simply Natural Saturday, Super Saturday, Weekend Potluck. Weekend Wind-Down.
~ DIY Sunday Showcase, Happiness is Homemade, Nifty Thrifty Sunday, Silver Pennies Sunday, Submarine Sunday, Think Pink Sunday.
~ A Round Tuit, Block Party, Busy Monday, Clever Chicks Blog Hop, Craft-O-Maniac Monday, Craftastic Monday, Frugal Crafty Home Blog Hop, Gluten-Free Recipe Linky, GMTG Link Party, Homemade Mondays, Homestead Barnhop, Inspiration Monday, Making Your Home Sing Monday, Marvelous Monday, Masterpiece Monday, Melt in Your Mouth Monday, Mix It Up Monday, Mod Mix Monday, Monday Funday, More the Merrier Monday, Mostly Homemade, Motivation Monday, Much Ado About Monday, Recipe Sharing Monday, Sweet Sharing Monday, Thank Goodness It's Monday.
~ All About You Link Party, Backyard Farming Connection Hop, Be Inspired, Brag About It Link Party, Create - Link - Inspire, Do Tell Tuesday, Fat Tuesday, From Dream to Reality, Good Tips Tuesdays, Growing Homemakers Link, Handmade Tuesdays, Healthy Tuesday Hop, Hearth & Soul Hop, Made By ME, Nifty Thrifty Tuesday, One Project at a Time, The Scoop, Share It Link Party, Share Your Stuff Tuesday, Take It On Tuesday, Tasty Tuesday, Tasty Tuesdays, Turn It Up Tuesdays, Time To Sparkle, Tip Me Tuesday, Too Cute Tuesday, Totally Tasty Tuesdays, Treasure Box Tuesday, Tuesday Greens, Tuesday Talent ShowTuesday At Our Home, Tuesdays Treasures, Turn It Up Tuesday, Tutorial Tuesday, Two Cup Tuesday, You're Gonna Love It Tuesday.                            
                              

12 comments:

  1. This sounds like a great dish because I love anything with Feta Cheese. Thanks for sharing and linking up with us at the #WWDParty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my....this looks wonderful. Confession, I have always been a little scared of beets, but I recently tried them....oh my, I have been missing out. I found you at the link party at Nifty Thrifty things...so happy I did, I can not wait to look around your blog and learn how to live an "awesome life"

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love roasted beets! Stopping by as co-host of Homemade link Party.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmm, I love roasted beets with cheese. Goat cheese is GREAT with roasted beets, btw. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beets are so pretty! Never had them roasted before. Thanks for sharing this at the Healthy Tuesday hop. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks really tasty, I love beets

    ReplyDelete
  7. Adore this recipe, I often add feta to beetroot for salads and pies, the salty feta with sweet beets works so well! Thanks for linking up to #tastytuesdays. Please do link back to my post or add my badge. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lynda, I have never had fresh beets....only canned pickled beets as a child. Something tells me that fresh roasted beets are far removed from what I had back then. I love roasted vegetables, so I am looking forward to trying roasted beets. Thank you for sharing these at Treasure Box Tuesday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes please! I love both of these flavors!
    Thanks for sharing with us on Good Tip Tuesday - http://www.sherrylwilson.com/good-tips-tuesday-6/

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love beets, I wish I wasn't the only one in the family who does. :/
    Thank you for sharing with the Clever Chicks Blog Hop!

    Kathy Shea Mormino
    The Chicken Chick
    http://www.The-Chicken-Chick.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Roasted Beets and Feta... love both and can image how lovely they'll taste together.
    Thank you so much for sharing the recipe at Tasty Tuesday. I am featuring it this week. Hope you'll drop by this week and share some more fabulous recipes with us.

    Hope you have a great week. See you at the party.

    ReplyDelete
  12. We love, love, love beets! It's a staple in our diets. Great idea to pair it with feta cheese.

    ReplyDelete