Friday, February 14, 2014

Gyro Mini Meatloaves and Roasted Broccoli

I love Mediterranean food! I could eat garlic, olives, feta, pita, hummus and wine for the rest of my life and be content. Probably not healthy. . . but content.

One of my favorite things to eat if we have the luxury of visiting a Greek restaurant are Gyros! I adore well-seasoned gyro meat on fresh pita with tsatsiki and cucumber. I'm drooling just thinking about it!

A few weeks ago I was looking for a way to spice up my cheesy mini meatloaf recipe. I dug through the fridge and discovered that I had feta and garlic stuffed olives and I began to formulate a plan. The result was this amazing recipe for meatloaf that tastes just like gyros! I hope you'll try it!


First, gather your ingredients. For the meat, I used one pound of lean ground beef and one pound of ground pork. You will also need seasoned bread crumbs, kalamata or garlic stuffed olives, feta cheese, oregano, milk, egg and plenty of extra garlic!

Take 1 cup of bread crumbs and place in a large bowl. To that add one cup of milk, 1 tsp oregano, 2-3 cloves of minced garlic and your egg.



Mix it all together!



Mmmmmm, looks like parritch. Plunk your meat on top of that mixture. . .


Followed by a generous cup of feta and about 1/2 cup of chopped olives (I've used kalamata and stuffed. We prefer the kalamata but you'll see green olives used in this case.)




Gently fold this all together. You don't want to over mix it or your loaves will be tough.



Divide the mixture into 6 equal portions and form into mini loaves. Place on a foil lined baking pan that has been oiled lightly. Place in a 425° preheated oven and set the timer for 25 minutes.



Wash up and prepare your broccoli. For this recipe I used 2 small heads of fresh broccoli.

Chop into florets and place in a large zip bag. In a small bowl, whisk together 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, 2-3 cloves of minced garlic and 2 tbs grated parmesan cheese. Pour this mixture over the broccoli.

Seal the bag and shake the living daylights out of it. Your family will likely walk into the kitchen at this point and wonder what the heck you are doing, but HEY cooking is fun! Shake the broccoli out onto a foil lined and well oiled baking sheet.

When the meatloaves have about 12-15 minutes left, place the broccoli in the oven to roast. Shake pan to toss and redistribute the broccoli about 8 minutes in if you so desire.




All those lovely browned bits are crunchy and delicious! I could eat this whole pan on my own!

When your meatloaf timer goes off, check your loaves with an instant read thermometer. You'll want them to be a 140°. Allow them to rest for about 5 minutes before serving. We serve ours with the broccoli and a side of cous cous!

In hindsite, I recommend cooking these loaves elevated on a rack of some sort so that the drippings can fall through. The beef is very lean but the pork will leave off quite a bit of fat. You may skip the pork and just use 2 lbs of beef, however the pork is so tender and flavorful. I highly recommend keeping it in!

Cheers! I hope you enjoy my recipe! Please feel free to share, pin and reblog as you see fit. Just remember to link back to RCH.

If you enjoyed this recipe, please check out my personal blog My Slightly Silver Lining.

Thanks so much! Lauren


Gyro Mini Meatloaves

1 lb very lean ground beef
1 lb ground pork
1 egg
1 cup seasoned bread crumbs
1 cup milk
1 tsp oregano
3-4 cloves of garlic, minced
1/2 cup chopped olives such as kalamata or garlic stuffed green olives
1 cup feta cheese crumbled

Preheat oven to 425°
In a large bowl, combine bread crumbs, milk, oregano, garlic and egg. Add both meats, feta and olives. Gently combine. Form into six equal loaves. Prepare a baking sheet by lining with foil and spraying lightly with oil or cooking spray. Place loaves on baking sheet and bake in the oven for about 20-25 minutes.


Roasted Broccoli
2 small heads of broccoli, chopped into florets
2-3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 tbsp grated parmesan
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
large zip bag

Place broccoli in zip bag. Wish together remaining ingredients in small bowl. Pour over broccoli, seal bag and shake until coated. Prepare a baking sheet by lining with foil and spraying liberally with olive oil. Spread broccoli onto baking sheet. Roast at 425° for about 12-15 minutes.

***
Have you checked out our giveaways?

Enter to win a months' free 3-meal box of homecooked Indian recipes and beautiful gifts from India from Tiffin Trove - ends on 2/24/14.

Then, check out this lovely hand crocheted beanie, being given away by Golden Hands Design - ends on 3/3/14.

Don't miss out!



Shared with:
~ Anything Goes Linky, Be Inspired, BFF Open House, Fabulously Creative Friday, Farmgirl Friday, Feathered Nest Friday, Flaunt It Friday, Foodie Friday, Foodies & Crafties Soiree, Foodtastic Friday, Freedom Friday, Friday Favorites, From the Farm Bloghop, Frugal Friday, Kitchen Fun & Crafty Friday, Old Fashioned Friday, The Party Bunch, Pinworthy Projects Party, Shabbilicious Friday, Show & Tell Friday, Thrifty Things Friday, Weekend Re-Treat.
~ Get Schooled Saturday, Link Party Palooza, Serenity Saturday, Show & Tell Saturday, Super Saturday, Weekend Potluck, Weekend Wind-Down.
~ DIY Sunday Showcase, Happiness is Homemade, Nifty Thrifty Sunday, Silver Pennies Sunday,Sunday FUNday, Think Pink Sunday.
~ A Round Tuit, Block Party, Busy Monday, Clever Chicks Blog Hop, Craft-O-Maniac Monday Link UpFrugal Crafty Home Blog Hop, Homemade Monday, Homestead Barn Hop, Inspiration Monday, Make Your Home Sing Monday, Marvelous Mondays, Masterpiece Monday, Melt in Your Mouth Monday, Monday Funday, Mix It Up Monday, More the Merrier Monday, Mostly Homemade Monday, Motivation Monday, Much Ado About Monday, Recipe Sharing Monday, Sweet Sharing Monday, Thank Goodness It's Monday.                                                    


14 comments:

  1. This look so amazing and I CAN NOT wait to try this for my family. Thanks so much, Lauren!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks great! I love gyros, everyone will love them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Yum! I love gyros and I am going to try this recipe soon! Thanks for sharing it with us at TTF this week. I am featuring this post at TTG FB page today! https://www.facebook.com/thethriftygroove

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Diann. Thank you so much for sharing my recipe!! I always feel a little bit famous when I see my recipes shared. :) I shared your page with my fans and followers today!

      Delete
  4. Great recipes! I especially love the look of the broccoli! Thanks for sharing at TTF!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi rchreviews,

    We have just sent you a message through email regarding our project.
    We MyTaste.com one of the biggest recipe search engine in United States and in the world, would like to invite your blog to be featured on our site and make your recipes available to many people.

    If you like it, you can join through this link www.mytaste.com/add-your-food-blog.

    This is one way to share your recipes to the world and it can also help you to increase your blog traffic.
    Full information has been sent to your email.

    Kind regards,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This sounds like a great opportunity! Thank you for contacting us. I'll make sure we are on the lookout for that email.

      Delete
  6. I absolutely love this recipe because I lover Mediterranean foods as well. I would need to use ground turkey or chicken as we don't eat pork. Thank you for sharing and linking up with us at the #WWDParty. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Antoinette! This recipe would be great with ground turkey! And I have made it with all beef and its just as delicious! Thanks for taking the time to comment!

      Delete
  7. Oooo! This looks good! Our family loves garlic, and broccoli, so together it must be fantastic...can't wait to try it all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rebecca! You can never go wrong with garlic in my opinion. Thanks for checking out my recipe! I hope you enjoy it!

      Delete