Wednesday, July 5, 2017

Altoid Tin Padded Box Topper (Tutorial)


I've been wanting to try my hand at using a repurposed Altoid Tin to make a padded box that could showcase a bit of my needlework for years, and until now, I'd never gotten around to it.

But when I got my June Broderi Box subscription of fibers and other needlework goodies, I knew that a small project using these decadent teals and metallic golds would be just perfect for my first try.

I'm not going to share the chart (at least not today), because I haven't actually charted it out - I worked the stitches as I went, doing no more planning than it took to estimate the size I'd need to cover the box.  If I do get it charted, I will certainly share the graph, though!
:
My piece was 30 x 44 on 28ct fabric over two - and could probably go as large as 34 x 46 without issue.  So if you do this with a needlework decign, keep the stitched area that size or smaller.  That said - you can make a lovely padded box this same way using just a piece of fabric you like.

This is definitely not the only way to go about doing this, and likely not the best way - but it is the way I did it:

Supplies:
Altoids Tin
piece of (stitched) fabric, cut to approx. 4.5" x 6"
Adhesive backed mounting board
Quilt batting
Ribbon or cord
Scissors
Exacto knife

Instructions:
1. Use the Altoid Tin as a template, and trace around it onto the matting board.

2. Use Exacto Knife to cut out the matting board shape.

3. Peel off adhesive backing and mount quilt batting to it.  Use scissors to trim batting so it is the same size and shape as the matting board.

4.  Center fabric over the batting, and fold over edges to the back of it. (use pins if needed to hold it in place.)

5. With thead, attach the fabric to the back by making a series of stitches across and back and forth - there is no specific order to this.  You simply want to create tension and balance until the entire thing is centered and neither too loose or pulled too tightly at the top.

6. Using either a cool heat glue gun or fabric adhesive (a friend recommended E6000 Craft Adhesive to me after I'd used a glue gun and I will follow her advice in the future), cover the back of the padded piece and fix it to the top of the tin, taking care to place it correctly.  Hold it in place for a few minutes (or compress with a flat heavy object, such as a book) to ensure good adhesion.

7. Cut a length of ribbon or cord long enough to go around the edge of the tin lid.  Working an inch or so at a time, glue the ribbon to the tin, placing it high enough to cover the area where the topper meets the tin.  Hold as needed to make sure it attaches solidly.

8. Carefully trim excess ribbon.



That's it!  Now you have a pretty little box that can hold everything from a sewing kit to tea bags to incense to jewelry!

What would you put into your little box of treasure?


14 comments:

  1. I adore boxes because they look pretty and you can store stuff. Yours is so pretty and special.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful Lynda, this would make such a lovely pin cushion and the altoid tins are always great for storing bits and bobs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did a super job of displaying your handy work. It is lovely and I would store threads and needles in it. Or fill the tin with yummy cookies to serve guests.
    Kathleen
    Blogger's Pit Stop

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is beautiful! I'd never guess it was made from an Altoid box! Thank you so much for sharing this with us at The Creative Circle Link Party!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so pretty! I've saved a bunch of Altoid tin up-cycle tutorials from Pinterest, and I haven't tried one, yet. Yours looks so nice and would make a really special gift for someone. Thanks for the tutorial.
    Carol ("Mimi") from Home with Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is cute. who knew an Altoids box could look so good! Great upcycle.Thank you for sharing on Merry Monday! Hope to see ya next week!
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been saving altoid tins for a fun project. This is super cute!! Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  8. I adore little boxes like this - it's so nice to have somewhere to hide little treasures! You have made such a beautiful topper for it. It's absolutely gorgeous. Thank you so much for sharing, and for being a part of Hearth and Soul.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have a stash of Altoid tins I've been keeping for the perfect project and now I've found it. Your needlework is absolutely gorgeous!! Congrats, you're featured this week at the This Is How We Roll Link Party.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very nice, I like it! Thank you Lynda for attending the #WednesdayAIMLinkParty. I pinned your post on Pinterest and shared it on Facebook, Google+, and Twitter.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Needlepoint is so pretty, it makes so much difference. Now you have a very pretty little tin. Great project idea.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So pretty! Thank you for sharing at Ravenwould.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is so cute I haven't done cross stitch in ages but I would love to try it again for this cure project

    ReplyDelete
  14. This wonderful post is a CREATIVE feature on the August You're the STAR blog hop: http://www.godsgrowinggarden.com/2017/08/youre-star-week2-creative-august-2017.html
    Thanks
    Angie

    ReplyDelete