Thursday, June 12, 2014

Meal Planning around Perishables


Last week, I looked at a few things I've learned about meal planning - a habit I find important but that I'd let go of for awhile.  With fresh resolve, I set up our week's menu...

And then promptly derailed it.  And I do mean promptly. That very night, we wound up skipping dinner to avoid having to prepare anything.

Then there was the eating out.  There was a lot of that, and it led it to leftovers, which led to not cooking.  And then there was some more eating out!

It's a little nuts how many social occasions we've had all crammed together.



My birthday was a planned night out - and we enjoyed ourselves very much down at the National Harbor and then shared a lovely meal at Rosa Mexicano.


Then we got together with one old friend on Wednesday to catch up over Indian food... and on Sunday we met over seafood up in Baltimore with another couple.


In there, I did cook a couple meals - there was some delicious pork schnitzel, and a good spicy tomato soup that carried us through lunches with the leftovers.

But nearly everything I had planned was set aside, so I was straight back to haphazardly pulling together meals without a plan..

This week, the social whirl has been even more whirly!  We had a houseguest stay overnight with us Monday evening, on his way from airport to train the next morning - and by the time we picked him up, it simply made more sense for everyone to grab a bite at the Silver Diner.

And then last night, a group of Michael's coworker's asked us to join them at the Hardtimes Cafe for dinner and Trivia Night.

And Saturday?  Saturday will be a potluck birthday party for a friend.

I am loving all the socializing!  I really am! And I enjoy eating out, but wow, this is a whole lot in a very short time span, and I rather wish it could be spread out over the month a bit more.  It's expensive, and meanwhile, my groceries are going unused.

So this is where I am right now -

So far this week, I've not cooked at ALL.  And I have a lot of produce from last Wednesday's seasonal produce box  that didn't get used yet... and another box arriving this week.

So, for this next week (Wednesday to Wednesday, since that's when my grocery delivery happens), I need to focus mainly on getting all these perishables used.

Here's the produce I've got on hand that needs to get eaten:

From last week (priority!)

- Plantains
- Spring Mix Lettuce Mix
- Green Beans
- Cauliflower
- Zucchini
- Cucumbers
- Beets & Greens
- Spaghetti Squash
- Celery
- Onions
- Potatoes
- Sweet Potatoes
- Carrots
- Collards
- Poblano Chiles (2)

Coming today:

- MORE Beets & Greens
- Snow Peas
- Curly Winterbor Kale
- Spring Mix Lettuce Mix
- Collards
- Red or Green Leaf Lettuce
- Swiss Chard
- Local Organic Herb Bunch (Dillweed)
- Avocados
- Tomatoes



I am intimidated!!

So this week, I'm working my plan a little backwards (and in the summer, when fresh food is readily available - only for short periods if you're eating seasonally - this is probably the more sensible way to approach planning).  I've got meat in the freezer, so I can grab whatever I need without fuss.  Instead, I am focusing on how many vegetables I can feature in any particular dinner.

While I'd intended to add planned lunches this week, I expect to have tons of leftovers, and those will be our lunch.

Some of these rework plans I didn't get to last week, and some stem straight from needing to use all this produce.  Here's what I've come up with - wish me luck getting it actually done!

Wednesday 6/11
 
 
Spaghetti Squash Spaghetti
(Make a meat sauce that includes some collard greens in it)

Thursday 6/12

Slow Cooker Teriyaki Chicken
Zucchini Spiral Cut 'Noodles'
Stir-Fried Mixed Veggies
(onion, celery, carrots, snow peas)

Friday 6/13

Make refrigerator pickled beets.

Bacon Wrapped Bratwurst Bites
Potatoes and Green Beans
Beet Greens

Saturday 6/14

Make a big tossed salad and homemade vinaigrette for potluck.

Sunday 6/15
Poblano Chicken
Greens
Avocado Slices
Sauteed Plantains and Coconut

Monday 6/16

Tandoori Salmon
Riced Cauliflower
Sauteed Greens

Tuesday 6/17

Soup
(pull together with protein and whatever veggies still need to be used)
(make a big pot of soup that can also serve as lunches through the week)


I think this gets me pretty close to working through all of these veggies!  And as much as I love being a social butterfly, I rather hope that nothing unexpected comes up until we've had some time to catch our breathes (and eat our greens).

Last week some of you shared your own meal plan 'lessons learned', and I found your ideas so helpful - thank you!  So, I have another question for you.

D you ever get overwhelmed by the perishables you have on hand? How do you use them up to avoid waste?  Please share your ideas in comments!



Shared with:
~ Creative Ways Link Party, Fabulously Frugal Thursday, Full Plate Thursday, Home & Garden Thursday, It's a Party, Mom's Pinning Party, Moonlight & Mason Jars, Share Your Cup Thursday, Showcase Your Talent Thursday, Thursday Favorite Things, Time Travel Thursday.  
~ Anything Goes, BFF Open House Link Party, Fabulous Finds, Farmgirl Friday, Feathered Nest Friday, Fight Back Friday, Foodie Friday, Foodie Friends Friday, Freedom Friday, Friday Favorites, Friday Link Party, Fridays Unfolded, From the Farm Blog Hop, Frugal Friday, Frugal Homeschool Friday, Gluten-Free Friday, Kitchen Fun & Crafty Friday, Let's Get Real Friday, LHITS DIY Linky, Old Fashioned Friday, Party Bunch, Pinworthy Projects, Shabbilicious Friday, Simple Living Foodie Friday, Unprocessed Friday, Weekend Re-Treat, Weekend Social.
~ Get Schooled Saturday, Link Party Palooza, My Favorite Things, No Rules Weekend, Say G'Day Saturday, Show and Tell Saturday, Show Stopper Saturday, Simple Saturday, Simply Natural Saturday, Super Saturday, Weekend Wind Down, Weekends Are Fun
~ Creative Collection, DIY Inspired, DIY Sunday Showcase, Happiness is Homemade, Nifty Thrifty Sunday, Our Sunday Best Showcase, Share Your Creativity, Silver Pennies Sunday, Submarine Sunday, Think Pink Sunday
~ A Round Tuit, Amaze Me Monday, Block Party, Busy Monday, Clever Chicks Blog Hop, Craftastic Monday, Frugal Crafty Home, Homemade Mondays, Homestead Barn Hop, Inspiration Monday, Making Your Home Sing Monday, Masterpiece Monday, Menu Plan Monday, Mix It Up Monday, Mommy Monday Blog Hop, Monday Funday, Mostly Homemade Mondays, Motivation Monday, Much Ado About Monday, Real Food Recipe Round Up, Sweet Sharing Monday.
~ Anti-Procrastination Tuesday, Brag About It, Create - Link - Inspire, Do Tell Tuesday, Fat Tuesday, From Dreams to Reality, Good Tips Tuesday, Growing HomemakersHearth & Soul Hop, Hip Homeschool Hop, Knick of Time Tuesday, Made By ME, One Project At a Time, The Scoop, Share It Link Party, Share Your Stuff TuesdayShow and Share, Take-A-Look Tuesday, Tasty Tuesdays, Time To Sparkle, TOO Cute Tuesday, Totally Talented Tuesday, Treasure Box Tuesday, Tuesdays At HomeTurn It Up Tuesday, Tutorial Tuesday, Two Cup Tuesday, You're Gonna Love It Tuesday
~ Cast Party Wednesday, Centerpiece Wednesday, Fluster's Creative Muster, Gluten-Free Wednesday, Hit Me With Your Best Shot, Homemaking Link Up, Inspiration Board, Lovely Ladies Linky, Make - Bake - Create, Party On the Porch, Penny Pinching Party, Pretty Wednesday, Real Food Wednesday, Show + Tell, Wednesday Whatsits, What's Cooking Wednesday, What's It Wednesday, Whatever Goes Wednesday, Whimsy Wednesday, Wicked Awesome Wednesday, Wonderful Wednesday, Wonderfully Creative Wednesday, Works For Me Wednesday, Wow Me Wednesday, Wow Us Wednesday, Your Whims Wednesday.                         
                           
                       

21 comments:

  1. Great ideas, and your meals look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need these ideas...so I will keep eating veggies! Thanks for sharing in the Thursday Blog Hop!

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of the best things about this time of year is that there is so much fresh food to choose from! Looks delish! Thanks for sharing at Fridays Unfolded!

    Alison
    Nancherrow

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everything sounds so good! I like to make a big pot of soup or a chopped salad when I have lots of veggies to use up. Good luck:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I constantly get intimidated by fresh vegetables. We always have to throw out much of our veg loads because it just never gets used. MUST MEAL PLAN!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These all look deelish! Great post :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this post! I wish you had included recipes for some of your items. I too am a meal planner - not just for budget and groceries, but because I'm also a Weight Watchers member. But thanks for some awesome ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Lynda,
    It's definitely imperative to plan meals if you want to incorporate fresh foods at this time of year. I will often do a mix vegetable grill or roast them if I've got a lots of little leftovers. This week I'm making a Summer Vegetable Thai Curry that will consist of leftovers too. Soups are easy too if you add some fresh basil pesto and chicken stock and toss in whatever veggies are hanging on.
    Great post - thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great post! Thanks so much for sharing this awesome post with Full Plate Thursday and come back soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sometimes it is hard to find the time to eat healthy. I have wonderful lettuce in my garden and I need to pick it, as well as kale. If not it will just go to seed. On my to do list for tomorrow. Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love having a garden and having all that free food, but it can be overwhelming trying to figure out how to consume it all when it comes in huge waves!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow gorgeous ideas! We have just moved and are cultivating fruit and vegetables along with herbs in our garden, such a joy! Thanks for linking up to #tastytuesdays

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for sharing at The Weekend Social, I'm looking forward to seeing you again next Thursday at 9pm EST at www.thequestionablehomesteader.com for another installment of The Weekend Social.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I often meal plan before heading to the Farmer's Market, but then end up buying extra fruits and veggies there. We have an almost weekly dinner with family, so I try to bring extra side dishes to use up my extra produce, or add the extra greens sautéed into eggs or pasta for breakfast or lunch.

    ReplyDelete
  15. These are all great and healthy recipes! Thank you for sharing your post at the #WWDParty - Have a wonderful week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  16. you recipes looks great
    Thanks for sharing up at "My Favorite Things- Linky Party"
    Have fun and don’t forget to join us each week!
    co-host
    Be Creative Mommy

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's so much fun to eat seasonally. Especially this time of year! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Spaghetti Squash Spaghetti sounds wonderful to try. I am sure it is tasty and healthy for you.
    twinkle at optonline dot net

    ReplyDelete
  19. At this moment, I want to tell you about my experience with a remedy that improves the condition of the body. I found it on this year and https://www.cornbreadhemp.com/collections/full-spectrum-cbd-oil and it helped me not to feel pain, stress and feel better. And I also have a better sleep and now I can fall asleep quickly and fall asleep well. If you need the same remedy, you may try to turn to this service.

    ReplyDelete
  20. ​I often had headaches and didn't know how to deal with them, but on the Internet I was advised to take a new type of mushroom-based medication. But I found a good source https://www.shrooms-online.net/shop/magic-mushrooms/ helps people like me. It relieves the pain or removes it completely, you become less irritable and I began to sleep soundly.

    ReplyDelete
  21. It all looks very tasty! And you look beautiful. I usually order pizza and some cannabis for my birthday.

    ReplyDelete