I recently traveled back to my roots. You never really appreciate a place until you're older right? I grew up in Manitou Springs, Colorado. A good old hippie town, that teaches you to slow down and enjoy the outdoors.
If you're like me and you enjoy a good workout, nutritious food, and nature - this is your spot!
Manitou Springs is known for Pikes Peak. The nearest airport is Colorado Springs (about a 30-45 minute drive) or Denver (about a 2 hr drive). There’s an abundance of lodging to choose from in Manitou. I would recommend a place near downtown so you can walk everywhere.
What to do in Manitou Springs?
- If you love exercise you must hike the incline!
- Make sure to pack water.
- If you need a snack or lunch, a break at the top is beautiful.
- This can take you anywhere from 30-90+ minutes to get up depending on your fitness level.
- To get to the trail you will park near the cog railway.
- Distance - 1 mile, climbing 2000ft.
- Trail Difficulty - Advanced.
Garden of the Gods:
- Makes your breathless with its beauty.
- There’s an abundance of places to stop and walk around.
- A highlight is often the balancing rock and kissing camels.
- You can spend an entire day here.
Places to Eat a Nutritious Meal in Manitou:
Adam’s Mountain Cafe - open for breakfast, lunch or dinner and operates according to the Slow Food philosophy. You will frequently find live music being played by local artists.
Good Karma Cafe - breakfast or lunch, this deli / coffee shop has plenty of healthy options available for eating in, or to carry along while you enjoy the outdoors.
While you're in Manitou Springs, be sure to taste the spring water, play games at the arcade downtown, browse the shops, and take a deep breath of mountain air.