Thursday, April 19, 2018

DIY Chalkboard Table


Our kitchen table was given to us shortly after the Mister and I moved into our first apartment by my father. It had been passed around various members of my family for years before even he got it, but for a newlywed couple just starting out, it was perfect.

After a few years, however, I found myself wanting to make it my own.

After some browsing around Pinterest, I decided that a chalkboard table would be the perfect thing for a little family with two young kids!


Actually transforming the table was a lot easier than anticipated!

I went to the hardware store and got some sandpaper and some chalkboard spray paint.

In use as a dining table
Then, one evening after the kids went to bed, I dragged the table out to my carport and started sanding away.

I only did a light scuffing of the varnish, to give the paint something to adhere to.

Thankfully, that was all it needed, and even though it was the part of the job that took the longest, it still didn't take very long at all.

The next part was the most fun, painting!

Even though I was outside I still put on a particle mask and went to town!

I ended up emptying the entire can on the table.

After letting the table dry overnight, I was delighted with the results!

Chalk Octopus!!
I now have a beautiful table that my kids can color on during the dreary wet months of winter in western Washington, and I spent less than $20 to get it!

After a few months of use, I have noticed a few spots where the paint has rubbed or chipped off, but it's really nothing that a bit of touch up chalkboard paint that I got at the craft store can't fix! 



6 comments:

  1. YES!! We have a chalkboard wall in our kitchen--so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun idea! I can imagine my children would have loved this!! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is such a great idea and perfect for the kids. I wouldn't mind having one myself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun Table Top! Thanks so much for sharing with us at Full Plate Thursday for the party this week. Hope you have a great week and come back to see us real soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  5. This wonderful post is a EXTRA feature on the May You're the STAR blog hop: http://www.godsgrowinggarden.com/2018/05/youre-star-week5-extra-may-2018.html
    Thanks
    Angie

    ReplyDelete