Wednesday, February 21, 2018

Blubarb Pork Tenderloin #FantasticalFoodFight


It's time for another round in the Fantastical Food Fight, where bloggers get together to create a dish using the challenge ingredient.  For February, the challenge was RHUBARB!


I'll admit I had no intention of participating in this one.  I have, I think, eaten rhubarb once, in a strawberry-rhubarb pie which was good, but not anything I was ever tempted to recreate.


I had no idea when it even came into season - I assumed around the same time as strawberries due to the frequency of that pairing, but it turns out that late winter/early spring is Rhubarb Season, at least in some areas.  Maybe?  Rhubarb confuses me.


Even if I could find it, this wasn't going to be the month for me to try it - rhubarb is very tart, which means it takes a lot of sugar, I'd assume, and we're not eating more than tiny amounts of sweetener this month.

Add to that that about all I actually know about preparing rhubarb is that it looks like celery but definitely isn't, and some part of it is poisonous to eat, and I have very little idea of which part. (I believe it's the leaves, but the idea is intimidating.)

So, I let this month go, thinking I'll just leave rhubarb to the professionals.

Then, while I was enjoying a gift set of jams I'd received from Blue Owl Preserves (reviewed here), I impulsively set aside the jar of Blueberry Rhubarb Jam.  I could do something with that!

It didn't take me long to decide what - I just looked over my upcoming menu plan (don't you love how very organized that makes me sound??  It is all lies.) and thought to my self, 'Self? What would this jam be good with?"  Self answered - pork tenderloin!

Easy enough - I used  the jam to make a glaze for pork tenderloin, and it turned out to be flavorful, tart and delicious!

You can, of course, use any variety or brand of jam you have available, but if you enjoy rhubarb, I highly recommend Blue Owl Preserves with its fresh Colorado grown fruits (as a side note, if you use the discount code RCH, you can take 10% off).  This variety, affectionately nicknamed 'Blubarb', tames the tartness of the rhubarb with brightly sweet blueberries, but still packs a delicious punch. The combination used with the pork reminded me a lot of a good cranberry sauce.

'Blubarb' Pork Tenderloin
serves 4

1 pork tenderloin
2 tsp. olive oil
seasoning to taste (I used Penzey's Florida Seasoned Pepper)

2 Tablespoons Blueberry Rhubarb Jam
1 Tablespoon white balsamic vinegar

Heat oven to 425F.
Coat the tenderloin in oil, then season well, patting seasonings so they stick.  Set in a rectangular baking pan (you may want to cover with foil, for easier cleanup).

Bake tenderloin for 20-25 minutes.  The internal temperature will be 145F when it's done - check with an instant read thermometer.

While the pork is baking, combine the jam and vinegar in a small saucepan, stirring to combine. Let this simmer gently for a few minutes to thicken.  If desired, some fresh blueberries would be wonderful, simmered in with the sauce.

Remove the sauce from heat until the pork is nearly done.

Spoon sauce over pork, spreading to cover, and let the pork cook just a couple more minutes to set the glaze.

Remove from oven, and let rest at least 5 minutes before cutting into medallions.

I served this with baked sweet potatoes and a large salad with blueberries to start.  The glaze was intensely flavorful and the tartness of the rhubarb took center-stage.

Pork tenderloins are a great way to get a reliably delicious meal on the table quickly, and I will be happy to serve it this way again - still leaving the rhubarb preparation to professions, of course!



This link up is only for Fantastical Food Fight entries - but I'd be delighted if you share your links with Party in Your PJs or Awesome Life Friday elsewhere on this blog!


16 comments:

  1. This sounds lovely...and I adore the thought of blueberries with rhubarb, I'll have to remember than combination! Faith, Hope, Love, & Luck - Colleen

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lucky find! Sounds delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This pork tenderloin recipe looks tasty! I have never tried it with Blueberry Rhubarb Jam before! You have got me curious now on how it would taste! I love that it looks like it is super moist! Thank you for sharing this recipe!

    - Natalie A.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like an interesting combo especially on pork thanks for the idea

    ReplyDelete
  5. So fun- I didn't make it this month to share a recipe, as Rhubard is just not my guy! Thanks for sharing at #FridayFrenzy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds yummy! Thanks for sharing at Friday Frenzy!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your Pork Tenderloin looks delicious! Your post is awesome and thanks so much for sharing it with us at Full Plate Thursday. Have a great week and come back to see us real soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my that looks and sound delicious - I haven't seen any rhubarb at the market yet. Hope its soon! So glad you've joined us again for the What's for Dinner party!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just another recipe to use up all the rhubarb I grow!! I LOVE IT. I can't ever keep up with production but this will help!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds super yummy! Thanks for sharing the recipe with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like it was meant to be this month! I love the idea of blueberry & rhubarb together over pork! Also, you're right, the leaves are the part of rhubarb you want to avoid, the stems are great!

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMG..Don’t even get me started on Rhubarb... I’ve got it working as we speak ... I'm so excited with your recipe. Meat and Fruit is devine ....We’re currently brewing a rhubarb/ grape wine ... We've enlisted my brew making son from Australia.. and of course ... I’m the task master ... coming up with new recipes to share...I’ll let you know how the tenderloin tastes... YUMMY

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great timing coming across that jam. I've had rhubarb once when I was younger and think I tried to eat it raw. That lasted for one bite and thankfully it wasn't the poisonous part. Thank you for sharing with us this week at Celebrate Your Story and we hope you will join us again next week.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This sounds good! Thanks for sharing at the To Grandma's House We Go DIY, crafts, recipes and more link party. Hope to see you next week!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am all for adding seasoning and new flavors to meals, Lynda, and this looks great! Thanks for sharing at Party in Your PJs.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Blueberry and rhubarb together?! That sounds fabulous. I love fruit paired with pork too, so I'm sure this is just absolutely wonderful together!

    ReplyDelete