Monday, September 12, 2016

Creamy Coconut Crio Bru

I first discovered Crio Bru when my best friend, Jackie and her family got ready to PCS out of Fort Irwin.

They literally dropped the majority of their pantry off at my house and left me with bags over bags of strange products and ingredients that I have never heard of and had no idea how to use. Crio Bru was amongst them because her husband Daniel initially did a review on the product a while back. After reading the review, I was skeptical about what to do with it, but the brewable chocolate smelled so heavenly that I just had to use it somehow.

We don’t own a coffeemaker or French press because my husband only espresso, so that was my first puzzle.

Now, I wasn’t going to invest the money in a French press or coffeemaker. Full of motivation and adventure, I stuffed the Crio Bru into our Bialetti and waited to see what was going to happen.

The liquid that came out was oh so heavenly smelling and even tasted quite alright – but not even close to being sweet enough to me!

That’s when I started to really experiment.

I personally don’t drink coffee or coffee-like drinks very often, and when I do I usually treat myself to some fancy Starbucks drink, but Crio Bru seemed like a wonderful alternative to me (oh and have I mentioned how it gives me a lot of energy without that caffeine crash a couple hours later?)

I started to mix it with all kinds of things: milk, chocolate ganache, caramel, etc., but today I want to share my Summer 2016 favorite with you guys:

(of course you can just use coffee instead of the heavenly smelling, roasted, ground up chocolate beans, but seriously - try it with Crio Bru!)

Creamy Coconut Crio Bru

What you need:
Crio Bru (or regular coffee)
Coconut Milk
Heavy Cream, whipped
Chocolate Syrup (optional)
Cream of Coconut (optional)

Start by preparing the Crio Bru. I use 2 scoops full in our Bialetti (it’s intended for two espresso shots)

Add some cream of coconut to the cup as sweetener, if needed (I use about 1tbsp).

Here you have two options now.

To drink it cold:
Combine the brewed Crio Bru with the cream of coconut and stir well, add ice and top off with 1 cup of coconut milk.

To drink it warm:
Combine brewed Crio Bru with the cream of coconut and stir well, heat up 1 cup of coconut milk and add to the cup.

Finally, top it off with whipped cream and drizzle with chocolate sauce (optional)

Yummy bonus Tip:
Usually I am the “everything homemade” kind of person and whip my own heavy cream and make my own chocolate drizzle.

If you are like that, too, then try adding 1 tsp of coconut extract to your whipped cream!

Enjoy! <3


  1. I love Crio Bru . . . don't drink it often and save it for a special drink. I've not ever made anything "special" with it, though. Just brew and add a tiny bit of coconut sugar. Your recipe here sounds yummy enough to try. Bet the kids would enjoy it as a treat too.

  2. I reviewed Crio Bru a few years ago. Great brand and products. Have a fantastic week.

  3. I have never heard of Crio Bru! And your drink sounds delicious! I do love coffee drinks and am on an iced coffee kick now! Thanks for sharing with #ovethemoon.

  4. You didn't have a coffee maker? ***Coffee addict trembles**
    I gotta try this Crio brew, it sounds so heavenly.... I'll mix it with coffee! Thanks a ton!
    and thanks so much for sharing with us on the Homesteader hop!

  5. I've never heard of that. How have I never heard of that?? So going to have to try it. Thanks for sharing this at the Homesteader Hop!!

  6. Looks like a great cup of coffee! Hope you are having a great weekend and thanks so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

  7. I love coconut!
    This sounds perfect for me!

  8. I have never heard of this. Looks yummy! Thanks for sharing it with SYC.

  9. I've never heard of crio bru before, but this looks like a delicious treat. Thanks for sharing the recipe at Fiesta Friday this weekend!

  10. Hi Patricia,
    I appreciate you sharing this information about Crio Bru Brewable Cocoa because I had never heard of them before, but it sure sounds worth checking out. Thanks for sharing on Real Food Fridays. Pinned & tweeted!

  11. Hey! I have one of those pots - I had no idea you could buy cocoa beans! Thanks for sharing on the What’s for Dinner link up and don’t forget to leave a comment at the party – Next week’s features that also leave a comment get pinned and tweeted!

  12. Your Creamy Coconut Crio Bru looks so warming and tasty. I hadn't heard of brewed cocoa before so I was really interested to learn more about it too. Thank you for sharing with us at the Hearth and Soul Hop.

  13. Looks good!
    Thanks for bringing your post to Blogger's Pit Stop last week.
    Janice, Pit Stop Crew

  14. This was this Most Viewed Last Week and will be a featured this week! Thanks for sharing on My 2 Favorite Things on Thursday! Pinned!

  15. This sounds so good!! Thanks for sharing you Creamy Coconut Crio Bru recipe!!

  16. This looks delicious. It looks like my kind of drink all the way around. It's also perfect for this time of year.

    Thank you for sharing this with us on the #HomeMattersParty. We hope to see you again next Friday at 12AM EST when we open our doors.