Tuesday, June 7, 2016

Creamy Cole Slaw Dressing


One of my favorite side dishes in the summer months is cole slaw!

I like it with a vinegar based dressing for pot lucks so I don't need to worry about mayonnaise getting too warm, and I like it creamy when it will be safely tucked in my refrigerator.

I'm happy to pull out the food processor and chop cabbage, carrots, and whatever strikes my fancy, but for the last few months, we've been doing kitchen remodeling and then getting our house on the market, so I've been trying hard to keep meals easy and as minimally messy as possible.

So, I have been keeping bags of shredded cabbage cole slaw mix (or broccoli slaw mix) on hand - they're great for whipping up a quick bowl of cole slaw, or using them in a fast no-muss-no-fuss stir fry.

The other day, I had a container of slaw mix but no prepared dressing, and I was in the mood for some creamy cole slaw.

Fortunately, making creamy cole slaw dressing is ridiculously easy, and when you make your own, you can keep better control over how sweet you want it.

My ingredient amounts are not set in stone - start there, taste, and adjust as you prefer.

Creamy Cole Slaw Dressing
1 1/2 cups dressing

1 cup mayonnaise
3 T. sugar
2 T. apple cider vinegar
1 T. whole grain mustard
1/2 tsp. celery seed
salt and pepper to taste

Combine together in a bowl and whisk thoroughly to blend.

Taste and adjust seasonings as desired.

Place shredded cole slaw veggies in a large bowl, add dressing, and combine thoroughly.  Chill until ready to serve.

This cole slaw is delicious as a side salad, or inside a pulled pork sandwich, or (if you're me), as a snack multiple times a day. Hah!

This time, I paired it with some fast homemade creamed corn, and some pork chops glazed with Easy Chutney & Bourbon Sauce (I used some Plum Chutney from the Virginia Chutney Co. and it was amaaazing)

The corn?  So simple - melt 4 oz. cream cheese in a sauce pan, 1/4 cup of milk, and some salt and pepper.  Add frozen corn and let it simmer (not boil) until everything is hot and melty. Yum.





19 comments:

  1. I am not a big fan of cole slaw, but this looks pretty good. Have a terrific day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love cole slaw!! Pinning to share and can't wait to try your recipe! Thanks for sharing your posts with us at Brag About It this week

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks so good! I am pinning to try this, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing this recipe with us, on #shinebloghop100 Lynda! I love cream coleslaw dressings and this looks like something I need to try! Good luck with your kitchen remodel!

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is nothing finer than a good homemade cole slaw to be used in the summer months. Picnics, barbecues or even as a simple side for lunch. So good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks super yummy and easy to make :) Thanks for sharing!

    Blessings,
    Edye | Http://gracefulcoffee.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. We love cole slaw, any way you mix it. Creamy, vinegar style or even with an Asian twist. I have been guilty lately of purchasing the pre-shredded mix, I even mix the regular with the broccoli slaw. There seemed to be something missing from my creamy dressing, I had no idea that it had mustard in it. I will be trying your recipe the next time we have slaw, which will be sooner rather than later! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How perfect for a summer picnic! Cole slaw is the perfect compliment! Thanks for linking up with lets get real!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Homemade coleslaw dressing is the best! Your recipe sounds yummy. Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks so easy!! I have to give it a try - Thanks for sharing on the What's for Dinner link up!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Except for the mustard, this is exactly how my grandmother made her coleslaw dressing. There have been a lot of coleslaw recipes published on the internet lately. I love reading how different people make their slaw dressing. I will try adding grainy mustard to mine next time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's so easy to whip up a slaw with the bagged mix. And your corn and pork chops sound delicious! #overthmoon

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks great! i love cole slaw!! Thanks for sharing on My 2 favorite Things on Thursday!! Pinned!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mmmmmm. Looks and sounds delicious! Pinning!
    Christine @ My Epicurean Adventures
    stopping by from Homemade Mondays Link up @ Being frugal by choice

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your coleslaw looks delicious! I like the addition of the mustard to the dressing. Thank you for sharing this recipe with us at the Hearth and Soul Hop.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the dressing for your Coleslaw, it looks awesome! Thanks so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and come back to see us real soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for sharing this on Peace, Love, Linkup! Stop by tomorrow at 6 and bring more links!
    Hope to see you there : )

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ooooh yummy! Thank you for sharing this delicious recipe at #FridayFrivolity!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love coleslaw. If I can find one that tastes just right. This one looks and sounds quite tasty. Though I have never seen "whole grain mustard" before, so I will have to look into that. Wonder how this will taste with Pyure in place of the sugar...
    Anyhow, thanks for stopping by and sharing on Throwback Thursday Blog-Style. Pinning your post.

    ReplyDelete