Thursday, October 1, 2015

Salmon Chowder


Here in DC, the weather is starting to get a little cooler, and a lot rainier as we gear up for Hurricane Joaquin.  This combo makes me turn to filling comfort foods, and when we had a lot of leftover salmon from a previous meal, I knew I wanted chowder.

This particular recipe isn't overly heavy - I don't use flour to thicken, and I didn't use any heavy cream (you could, but I had plenty of good whole milk on hand already and saw no reason send anyone off to the store in the rain).  I also used my own homemade broth, and the veggies were what we had available. The result is flavorful, simple to prepare, and sustaining.  And it made lots of leftovers for lunch today, too, which made our salmon purchase very frugal.


Salmon Chowder
serves 6-8

2 carrots, diced
2 stalks celery, diced
1 onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, diced
1-2 tablespoons butter
24 oz. chicken broth
2-3 cups cooked salmon, flaked (or however much you have)
2-3 potatoes, diced
1 cup whole milk or cream
16 oz creamed corn (optional)
1 teaspoon dill
salt & pepper to taste

In a soup pot, melt butter, then add carrots, celery, onion and garlic, and saute over moderate heat until onions are softened and clear.

Add dill, salt and pepper, broth and potatoes, bring to boil, then lower heat and let simmer about a half hour, until potatoes and carrots are soft.

Add milk and creamed corn, and heat gently for another 15-20 minutes. Taste and correct seasonings as needed.

That's it! Dish up, serve with crackers or bread if desired, and enjoy!


23 comments:

  1. Hi Lynda,
    Wow your soup looks and sounds so good as I have never had this before.
    Thanks for sharing the recipe to make this awesome soup.
    Enjoy the weekend.
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's been ages since I had salmon for anything! Your chowder sounds wonderful. Pinned!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lynda,
    Sound delicious and a perfect soup for Fall & Winter. I love salmon and the all the healthy veggies and ingredients that this chowder contains. Thanks for sharing on Real Food Fridays. Pinned & tweeted.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum, something different for dinner! Sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks delicious!! I'm always looking for new soup recipes for Fall! :) Thank you for sharing with us at the #HomeMattersParty

    ReplyDelete
  6. This look yummy. We live in the Pacific Northwest and love salmon !!! And it is just about time to starting making those warm and comforting soups so this is timely !!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks super yummy! Love soup once the cooler weather hits. I have never made a salmon chowder before. Thanks for sharing the recipe with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have not made chowder since high school! I remember having a beautiful seafood chowder in Boston when we visited the US a few years back. Thanks for bringing back memories and sharing with us at #AnythingGoes

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great and hearty soup! Yum! Thanks for sharing on My 2 favorite Things Link Party!! Come back again!! Pinned!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great Chowder, this looks fabulous! Thanks so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday, and hope you have a great day.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds delicious! I like salmon any way it is prepared. This recipe for a chowder looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I LOVE salmon chowder! I've never tried to make chowder but this looks easy enough. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Lynda, I haven't made chowder since high school although we had some when we visited the East Coast of U.S. This looks delicious and nutritious as you head into Fall and Winter. Thanks for sharing with us at #WednesdaysWisdom

    ReplyDelete
  14. This looks delicious Lynda! Thank you for sharing your recipe on the Art of Home-Making Mondays!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your recipe looks great! Thanks for sharing. (from #JoyHopeLive)

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a lovely chowder, perfect for enjoying when you need something warming and comforting! It's a great way to use up leftover cooked salmon too. Thank you for sharing it with us at the Hearth and Soul Hop.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yum! I'm not a big fish fan but the rest of my family is! I bet they'd love this!

    Thanks for linking up with us at the Best of the Blogosphere!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This looks absolutely amazing! Pinned and tweeted. You always bring the most amazing creations to our party. Thank you! I hope to see you again, this Monday at 7 pm. It wouldn’t be a party without you! Lou Lou Girls

    ReplyDelete
  19. Delicious salmon chowder thanks for sharing with Hearth and soul blog hop, pinning and tweeting.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great idea! I never thought about Salmon Chowder, we make clam chowder and chicken chowder and love it! Next time we have salmon I'll save some to make this! I love soup in the cooler temps! Pinnning!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This looks delicious. Thanks for sharing at #JoyHopeLive Hope to see you there again tomorrow :-)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Shared! Thank you for sharing with us at #JoyHopeLive!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks for linking up with Tuesday Talk! I'm allergic to clams, so I've never really given chowder a thought. I'm so excited to try this! I'll be sharing it tomorrow on my Features post.

    ReplyDelete