Monday, April 10, 2017

Low-Carb Mushroom Cap Pizza


For the last month my husband and I have been following a keto-based low carb/high fat diet with amazing results, so far!

This means we have had to revamp nearly all our favorite carb-heavy recipes. Lately, we have been craving pizza so badly. Particularly personal pita pizzas! While there are many fantastic keto bread recipes using cheese and almond flour out there, we have yet to give it a try.

What we ended up doing is not particularly unique, but still worth sharing because of its sheer brilliance and simplicity.

Portobello Mushroom Cap Pizzas!

Ingredients:
Large Portobello mushroom caps
oil (I used avocado oil)
pizza sauce
mozzarella cheese
any toppings you want!

Preheat oven to 375.

Remove stem and gills from underside of mushrooms. Gills are fine to eat, but this gives you a nice hollow area to fill with pizza goodies.

Place shroom caps on a foil lined baking sheet, and drizzle the inside with oil. Doesn't need to be a pool but enough to saturate. Mushrooms will absorb it well.

Bake in preheated oven for 5 minutes.

Flip mushrooms over and drizzle oil on the outside.

Bake for another 5 minutes.

Flip mushrooms so the hollow inside is again right side up. Spread your pizza sauce. We use Rao's Vodka marinara sauce because of the zero added sugar factor. Stuff with shredded mozzarella and add whatever toppings your please.

This could also easily work as a Alfredo based white pizza!

Best eaten with a knife and fork.

Get creative and enjoy!  What are your favorite pizza toppings?




20 comments:

  1. Looks tasty and easy to make!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks delicious - definitely going to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YUM! I can't wait to try this recipe. I eat low carb, but still need my pizza fix every now and again. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for attending the #WednesdayAIMLinkParty, I shared your post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks yummy...may have to try this. #fandayfriday

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes! I just went low carb and these will totally hit the spot!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I went on a low carb diet a few weeks ago so I am adding this to my menu.
    Sounds amazing.
    Hugs,
    Bev

    ReplyDelete
  8. These look like they're to die for! Thanks for sharing! #fdflinkparty

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just had my stomach growled. The beast inside must have been very hungry after seeing these. They look really good!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mmmmmm oh yes please. I love this. We've made something similar before but we never removed the gills. What a waste. Just think of all that extra yumminess that could have gone inside. Thanks for the idea Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Okay, so I'm salivating. This looks so good! I am bookmarking this baby! #FridayFrivolity xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks delicious! Thank you for sharing at Ravenwould.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great idea, I would never have thought to do that :) I am always happy to find low carb recipes.
    Kathleen
    Blogger's Pit Stop

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks so yummy! I love portabella mushrooms. Thanks for sharing the recipe with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this idea! What a great way to get all the flavours of pizza in a much healthier package. Tweeting! Thank you so much for sharing with us at Hearth and Soul!

    ReplyDelete
  16. We will just love your Mushroom Cap Pizza, Jackie! Thanks so much for sharing your post with us at Full Plate Thursday and come back soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh yum, these look so tasty! Thanks so much for sharing over at Friday Frivolity. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. These look so yummy! Thanks for sharing at the Friday at the Fire Station link-up!
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  19. Looks delicious! Thanks for sharing at the What's for Dinner link up!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yum! These look amazing. I really need to clean up my diet but pizza is so hard to give up. This might just be the perfect alternative! Pinned and sharing. Thank you for joining us at Family Joy Blog Link-Up Party. I hope you will join our next party starting Sunday at noon EST.

    ReplyDelete