Wednesday, February 22, 2017

Instant Pot Red Lentil Curry


I've never cooked curry before, and furthermore never cooked with lentils before, so why not test my skills at both at once while continuing to get used to my Instant Pot??

I shopped around a few recipes and decided what bits and pieces I wanted to put to use.

Then while cooking it, adapted even more and I basically ended up winging the whole thing.

The result  was rich and filling and delicious! It's not often at all we eat a meat free meal, but we were all very pleased. (If you want to make this vegan, leave off the sour cream!)

Instant Pot Red Lentil Curry
serves 4

1 can coconut milk
1 14.5oz can diced fire roasted tomatoes
2 cups dry red lentils
3 tablespoons tomato paste
½ diced onion
4 cloves of garlic
1 chunk (about 1.5 inches) fresh ginger peeled and minced
5 cups vegetable broth
2 ½ tablespoons curry powder
1 teaspoon cayenne
5 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 bag baby spinach

(as you can see in the picture, I intended to use spinach, but forgot to add, and also made decision to add potatoes after I took the picture. Use both!)

On SAUTE setting on the Instant Pot, saute onions, garlic and ginger for 3 minutes.

Add all remaining ingredients except for the potatoes. (Theoretically, maybe you can add them, but I boiled separately as it was a last minute decision and added at the end - they should cook fine along with everything else.)

Place lid on the Instant Pot and make sure spout is on SEALING.

Cook on MANUAL high for 15 minutes. If you didn't include the potatoes, boil potatoes on the stove while the lentils are cooking.

Let natural release for ten minutes before turning nozzle to venting and opening when pin drops.

Add cooked potatoes (and 2 cups of fresh chopped spinach if you'd like) and mix so that all is hot and the spinach is wilted.



To serve, I topped my bowl with a dollop of sour cream and red pepper flakes and we ate this with a crusty roll for sopping up all the goodness - a flatbread such as naan would also be wonderful with this.

My verdict? I am now a convert to curry and to lentils!  Delicious, easy, nutritious meal that is frugal, too? Score!









18 comments:

  1. Sounds yummy! I like both curry and lentils so I'm gonna have to try it. Thank you for sharing at Link It Up Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Found you from the Mostly Blogging linkup! WE LOVE our IP! Will be trying this recipe out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jackie, Sounds delicious! I love ginger and curry so I know I will like this! Thanks for sharing your recipe! Blessings, Janet

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jackie. Visiting from this Friday's Favorites Linky Party. Love to have you come share at an Instant Pot only linkup! http://pursueyourproject.com/instant-pot-linkup-party-1/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Still haven't bought an instant pot but keep seeing recipes for it, going to have to get one. Thanks Jackie from Grammy Dee, #WednesdayAIM #LinkUp #BlogParty, social media shared.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jackie,
    Thank you for sharing all your wonderful recipes and posts on Real Food Fridays. You have helped make Real Food Fridays a success . I hope to see you around the internet and continue to read your information. Pinned & tweeted. Be Be healthy and happy. Remember to always eat real food.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love curry, but haven't had a lot of lentils. Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't have an InstaPot, but gave one to our daughter for Christmas and passed this along to her to try. I am not a big curry fan so not sure how I would like this combo, but I love everything else in the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for sharing with us at Family Joy Blog Link Up party this week. I hope you will join us for our 2nd Instant Pot link up on March 8th.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A great recipe for your Red Lentil Curry! We always love your recipes at Full Plate Thursday, thanks so much for sharing them with us!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gracious, this looks so flavorful! I used to fix not-red (brown?) lentils all the time when we lived in Panama. Have never seen a red lentil but have never met a lentil I didn't like. Will look for them the next time I grocery shop. Thank you for linking up with us at The Blended Blog.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh wow, this looks great! I LOVE all sorts of curries. Saving this in my bookmarks :)

    *Maisy

    ReplyDelete
  13. Everyone is talking about these instant pots - guess I need to check it out - and this recipe looks worth looking into! Thanks for sharing on the What's for Dinner link up!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This looks like a tasty new dish! Thanks for sharing #FridayFrivolity

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love different curry dishes and this sounds great. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love curry. Thank you so much for linking at #overthemoon! I look forward to seeing what you share every week. Please come back for #WonderfulWednesday or #ThursdayFavoriteThings. Don't forget to comment your link #'s so I can be sure to visit and you get a chance to be featured! Pinned and shared.
    Hugs,
    Bev

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a delicious, warmly spiced, vegetarian (or vegan) meal, Lynda. Thank you for sharing this healthy recipe with us at Hearth and Soul.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This looks so good! I have all the ingredients, but my instant pot isn't working!! I have to contact Amazon tomorrow and figure out how to get a replacement. This will be great to try when I get it back up and running! Thanks for sharing on God's Growing Garden blog hop!

    ReplyDelete