Thursday, November 3, 2016

Review Anime Bento Subscription Box



If you were to go back in time and tell the me in middle school that I would be asking my brother on a semi regular basis for anime recommendations, I would have laughed heartily in your face. Not only did my brother and I not really get along as children, but I also hated anime.

I would sigh and scoff every weekend when my brother and my father would sit on the couch for their weekly DragonBall Z episodes and curl tighter into a ball, cuddling with my latest book.

Flash forward a decade, and I have found that the years really do change you. Now my brother and I are not only on speaking terms, but we actually like each other and enjoy the other's company, and I have come to enjoy the art, humor, and drama that is anime.

I'm still pretty new to the scene (hence my asking for recommendations), but I find myself enjoying it more and more with each new show that I watch.

I've always been the low key fangirl (think Legolas tee shirts and Harry potter school supplies during the awkward middle school phase) and now that I'm a grownup with my own place, I like to add little bits of fandom around me whenever possible (like a TARDIS mug and a Malcolm Reynolds figurine and a Rainbow Dash picture among others), but had yet to really figure out a way to do so with my newfound anime love.


All that makes me excited to discover Anime Bento, a subscription box for anime goodies! With plans starting at $35 per month, you can have a box of Japanese snacks and collectibles sent to your mailbox every month. Signing up is easy - first choose your shirt size, and then you can pick month to month, or a prepay for 3, 6, or 12 months.

I was able to receive the September box, which I opened with a childlike glee. Inside this box I found six items of Japan fun!



There were two key chains, one from Seraph of the End and one from Puzzle Monster Quest, a Gundam robot figure (#13, my lucky number!!!), a set of three buttons, a tee shirt, and some rice crackers.

To be completely honest, I am not familiar with any of the animes featured, but it didn't stop me from enjoying the box. I even added Seraph of the End to my ever growing list of animes I would like to watch.

I have both keychains on my keyring, and they are wonderful additions to it!

I often use my keys as a distraction for bored children in the store, and having a puzzle cube is perfect for it!

While I don't have a backpack to put pins on anymore (again with the school age fangirling), I do have a cloth purse that I had a friend make for me that I pinned the three buttons on. Now I get to carry them everywhere I go!


The tee shirt is a humorous faux advert for a cereal from an anime I don't recognize, but it is a lovely comfy shirt that gets worn around the house.

It seemed like fate wanted the house to have Gundam figurines, as just around the same time I received the Anime Bento box, a couple of my friends returned from their trip to Japan, bringing us a Gundam figure as a souvenir!



Now I have both Gundams guarding my friendship Kimmidoll in my dining room! The Gundam required a little assembly, but even with no actual directions (unless they were in Japanese, but I don't read Japanese, so I don't know), it took just a couple minutes, even with a Mischief attempting to help.

The last thing in the box was a bag of Himemaru Rice Crackers. These delicious crackers were a beautiful combination of sweet, savory, salty, and just a tiny bit spicy.

My poor Mister hardly got any, because they were just too good to share! I'm not certain what the exact flavor was supposed to be, but I'm going to go with delicious.


While $35 a month for a subscription box is not currently in our budget, I think this would make a great gift for the anime lover no in your life.

If you or someone you love is an anime fan, you can pick up a subscription under any of their plans and get 10% off.

To redeem your 10% discount enter RCH10 at checkout on animebento.com!




http://www.animebento.com/
https://www.facebook.com/animebentous/

9 comments:

  1. I love subscription boxes and this one looks like a fun one! It has a nice mix of products! #ProductReviewParty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Subscription boxes are so fun, this one looks like a great gift idea! Thanks for linking up to Funtastic Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My oldest daughter would love this box!!!!!!! #ProductReviewParty

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jessica, when the kids were young anime was often watched in our house. Pokemon, Dragon Ball Z, Sailor Moon. They are older now, but still remember these shows with a fondness. My son still carries a pokemon card or two in his wallet and his little sister has a few in her possession too. This sounds like a fun subscription box for an anime lover!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello, If I may ask what size t-shirt you got? We look similar in lady size & on their site I cannot find measurements. I really want this months box which I know has a shirt & wanna get one that fits. Your help would be great. I thank you for you time & great review! ~Jenguin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The tee shirts I have gotten are a unisex large. I fit between a women's large and extra large. The shirts are a bit on the loose side, so if that is how you like your shirts, they would be perfect. Just remember that they are in unisex sizing, and they don't have the fitted cut that women's tops usually do.

      Delete