Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Review: Puppy Cake Cake Mix & Ice Cream


About two and a half years ago, my daughter and I decided we wanted to adopt a dog. My husband was not thrilled about the prospect, but I felt like we needed another little life in the house that didn't need diapers.

We walked into a No-Kill Shelter in Apple Valley, California and immediately fell in love with this scruffy, somewhat pathetic looking pup who just looked like he fit our family. He had been found wandering in the desert and his paws had been burned from the heat. He was desperately in need of a bath, a haircut, a name (Augustus Caesar) and lots of love.

The folks at the shelter estimated his age to be about two years old by the look of his teeth. We didn’t know when his birthday was so we’ve never been able to celebrate it officially. I wanted to change that this year and the good people of Puppy Cake had obliged me by sending a box of Puppy Cake Mix and Ice Cream Mix so I decided to throw Augustus an impromptu birthday shindig.

You may remember back in December that I reviewed Puppy Cake’s Holiday Cookie Mix. Augustus LOVED the cookies! I set the cake and ice cream aside and forgot that I had them until my daughter found them and suggested that now was the time for a puppy treat!

The Ice Cream came in the form of a pint sized container filled with a powdered mix that I added water to, thoroughly mixed and placed in the freezer. As I mixed in the water, a wonderful aroma of fresh peanut butter wafted up from the container. I knew Gus was going to love it!


The cake mix was a wheat free, pumpkin spice mix with all natural, simple ingredients like rice flour, pumpkin and cinnamon. It smelled just like spice cake mix, but not quite as sweet. You add a little water, vegetable oil and one egg. My favorite part about the cake mix was the many options for preparation. You can make them in the oven or microwave, in a cake pan or cupcakes.


I chose to make cupcakes in the microwave in my silicone baking cups. I’ve made the microwave mug cake that you see on Pinterest before and it always turns out a little weird, so I was eager to try these directions and put the product to the test.

I was pleasantly surprised at the texture of these cupcakes. They rose beautifully and had a very tender texture, not gummy or doughy at all! The mix also included a yogurt frosting packet. A powdered yogurt product that you whip up with water. I had to add a little more water than what was recommended to get a spreadable consistency, but I was pleased with the result.


I taste tested everything and the Ice Cream was very good. It was creamy and tasted like peanut butter, but not sweet. The cake was spicy and definitely had a pumpkin tone and was also not sweet. The yogurt icing was not pleasant to me, but Gus loved it (as evidenced by the photos).

We put a small scoop of ice cream and a cupcake on a plate and tried to get a birthday hat on Gus, but he just wanted to eat already! He jumped in and devoured the ice cream first.

If I would have handed him the pint, he would have wolfed it down like he was wearing yoga pants and watching a Sex in the City marathon on Netflix.

He then moved onto the cupcake where he licked the frosting off and then tried to run off with the cupcake like he was in trouble. I managed to get him back for photos and had to help him eat the rest.

To summarize, I would say the Puppy Cake knows their stuff! I will definitely be buying from them in the future.


The Pumpkin Spice Cake Mix retails for $6.99 and the Ice Cream also for $6.99. They offer free shipping on orders over $25!

If you would like to get your hands on any of the wonderful products from Puppy Cake, you can go to their website to place an order. You can also check them out on Facebook, Pinterest and Twitter.








FEATURED!


8 comments:

  1. Oh I have to tell a few folks about Puppy cake mix....why haven't I heard of this before!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love baking treats for my dogs and this sounds like something they would both love!

    ~Trisha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow! I love these products. My pug baby would enjoy these for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. my yorkie Fiona will love these and great to celebrate a birthday for her in September or a holiday

    ReplyDelete
  5. What adorable photos! I never heard of these products but how nice to give these treats to pets. I will tell my sister about this.
    twinkle at optonline dot net

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such an adorable idea. I will have to try some for our doggies.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my gosh, that is one lucky puppy! Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete