Friday, July 11, 2014

Review: Lesser Evil Snacks

I don't know about you, but I love snacks!  I come from a long and hearty line of snack lovers, and I'm proud of it. But as much as I love and nurture my "inner fat kid," I need to make sure that he doesn't become my "outer fat kid."

LesserEvil Snacks, started in 2004, is working to be the first brand in your friendly local chip aisle that is actually good for you. Instead of all the other brands who offer a "more healthy option" which tastes like a sacrifice, every product they offer strives to be an actually healthy choice while still making your "inner fat kid" grin like the Cheshire cat.  Listed on each bag is a string of qualities that will make any health conscious consumer excited - USDA organic; gluten free; no artificial preservatives,flavors or colors; and kosher just to name a few.


They have four product lines of delicious noms: Super 4; Chia Crisps; Chia Pop; and their newest line Buddha Bowl.  And let me just say, I'm a fan of them all.  But as they say the devil is in the details, so lets get into details of LesserEvil's divine eats.

One serving size, next to 5 serving bag.
First up is Super 4; a munchie composed of white beans, quinoa, lentils, and chia.  

This little marvel, which resembles a thick macaroni noodle, has a delightful crunch that feels more intense that your standard chip.  

I got to sample two flavors: kale and garlic, and cheesy nacho.  I know what you're thinking, cheesy nacho sure, but kale and garlic?!  Never you fear, the garlic is bold without making you have to sleep on the couch; and the kale played a strong supporting role instead of being bitter like it can be.  

The cheesy nacho also gave a strong showing of traditional snacky flavors that appeals to kids of all ages.

The thing I liked most about Super 4 was the fact that after the first serving, I felt this strong satisfied feeling in my tummy that never seems to happen with standard fare snacks. 

110 calorie serving of Chia Crisps
Chia Crisps are next on the lineup, which use primarily black beans over white rice flour while still highlighting chia.

I would describe their appearance as a thin rice cake, shrunk down to the size of a silver dollar and dyed purple; and their munch lies somewhere between a rice cake and a cracker.

I had the fortune to try two flavors of this charming chip conversion: feta and black olive, and crunchy dill pickle.

The feta and black olive had my wife shouting "OPA!"and let me tell you she is about as Greek as a bratwurst.

I almost lost my chance to tell you about the dill pickle flavor, as my son demolished most of them before I could wrest them from his grasp.  That is, my three - year - old - doesn't - eat - his - veggies - on - pain - of - time-out son, by the way.  The few I managed to save from his tiny clutches made me think of the GIANT pickles I used to love as a kid, but much more compact.

Fair warning, because LesserEvil doesn't use food dyes the dill pickle crisp looks almost exactly like the feta and black olive crisp. These offered  a similar satisfying experience to that of Super 4, while feeling lighter.

One serving of Chia Pop - just right!
The last line to feature chia is called Chia Pop.  By the way, that's the same ch-ch-ch-chia that you remember from the 80's, and now it's a super food chock full of Omega-3s and fiber - live and learn!  I know the idea of mixing a corny Christmas present and popcorn sounds curious at best, but don't you worry, the results are quite intriguing.

The flavor I sampled was Sea Salt and Cracked Pepper, but the name sells itself short.

The chia adds so much subtle complexity to the organic popcorn that I was taken aback at first.  So  I needed a moment to step back and reassess my expectations.

Once I did, I was rewarded with mellow earth tones from the chia forming a smooth foundation for traditional salt counterpointed by sharp pepper. This snack gave me the biggest surprise of them all and delighted me with its complexity, however it wasn't exactly a crowd pleaser among  the rest of my family. (More for me!)

This, my friends, is a close up of Enlightenment.
Buddha Bowl popcorn is the newest line from LesserEvil and I attest it brought my "inner fat kid" to a moment of zen.

The Himalayan Pink flavor brings together only three ingredients in true harmony: organic non-gmo popcorn, organic coconut oil,  Himalayan salt.

From the moment we opened the bag  for the first sniff the wife and I were entranced.  Its subtle sweetness led us both to a place of calm and joy.


That is, of course, until she called dibs on the rest of the bag. That led to a place of frustration and bared teeth; and ultimately an empty bag.  It's so good I feel the only proper way to eat it may be siting in lotus position near a koi pond, but next movie night will make a close second.

After my experience with LesserEvil I plan to give the suggestion box at the local grocery what for until it graces the shelves with these fiendish delights.  In the meantime I will have to settle for ordering from their online store or Amazon.  If you order directly from their website, you should know that they ship only in crates of twelve.  This may sound like an inconvenience at first, but I expect its simply going to save you from ordering from them every week.

Happy Snacking!

Lesser Evil Website
Lesser Evil on Facebook
Lesser Evil on Twitter
Lesser Evil on Pinterest




Shared with:
Anything Goes FridayFabulous FindsFreedom FridayFriday FavoritesFridays UnfoldedHandmade HangoutLet's Get Real FridayParty BunchWeekend Re-Treat.    
My Favorite Things SaturdayNo-Rules WeekendSay G'Day SaturdayShow & Tell Saturday.
Creative Style Link UpDIY Sunday ShowcaseSunday Show Off. 
Making Your Home Sing MondayMeandering MondaysMostly Homemade Monday.
~ Anti-Procrastination Tuesday, Be Inspired, Handmade Tuesday, Healthy Tuesday.
~ Cast Party Wednesday, Mommy Club Link Up, Penny Pinching Party, Wake Up Wednesday, What's It Wednesday, Whatever Goes Wednesday, Whimsy Wednesday, Wonderfully Creative Wednesday, Work It Wednesday,  Works For Me Wednesday.
~ It's a Party, Moonlight & Mason Jars, Share Your Cup Thursday, Thursday Favorite Things.           


9 comments:

  1. These sound so delightful!! I must get my hands on the black olive and feta0 that one had me drooling. This review was a ball of fun to read, and your descriptions really had me understanding, and CRAVING the snacks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Matthew, I think you missed your calling as a writer! This is a wonderful review, so rich in detail that I am pretty sure I just burped garlic. OPA!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both flavors of the chia crisps sound really interesting to me! I'm going to have to look for these.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm pretty intrigued by the Chia Pop! My favorite snack has and always will be popcorn so I *have* to try it. Also, the Super 4 kind of remind me of Combos. The only junk food item I miss so much I dream about them. Do they just hav a similar shape or do you think they are similar at all. (I'm looking at you, Nacho Cheese Super 4!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. My sister is really into the whole Chia health craze and she has been trying to get me on board. Maybe I can start with these

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cool subscription box! I love it and it would be perfect for my husband! Thanks for introducing me to a new subscription service that I have not yet heard of!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry if I wasn't clear, but this actually isn't a subscription service.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have never heard of these, but sounds super yummy! Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've tried Lesser Evil snacks and I love them. They aren't that easy to find. Every time I go into a store that has chips I look for them!

    ReplyDelete