Thursday, December 19, 2013

Review: Cakewalk Desserts

 Reviewer: Jackie Snider

Cakewalk Desserts breaks new ground with their sweets! I’m sure I’m not the only one who has never heard of pie pops, and founder/baker Andrea Smetona wants to change that. 
Founded in 2010 just as a side hobby, Cakewalk Desserts has grown immensely and has been featured in countless bridal magazines and blogs. These adorable little pies on a stick add a touch not found by any other pastry.

I was sent a box overnight filled with 12 yummy pie pops, and their recently released full color cookbook. When I opened the box I saw it had some brown packing paper crumpled on top of the pops, which were lying loose in the box.

Unfortunately, a few of the pie pops were crushed already, and more crumbled as soon as I took them out of their plastic.

That could easily be a problem with local postal service delivery, so I wont hold that against Cakewalk based on one delivery. However, I do think the box was a little big for the amount, which left a lot of empty space for moving around.

The taste more than made up for it! There were 3 different varieties, four of each one. I could visually tell that there was apple and cherry, but there was star shaped pops that gave no indication of flavor. That was the first one to try! I tasted some kind of berry like fruit, as well as a crunch of walnuts. Using the cookbook I was able to determine that I was eating Cranberry Walnut Crisp pie pops thanks to the glorious photos and descriptions in the book.

I love the presentation of the pops. Each one of them were individually wrapped in cellophane with a colored ribbon around the stick.

The Cranberry Walnut Crisp was really good! It was quite festive. The crust was a little dryer than I would have liked, though. The apple was really cute as well, and had a Christmas tree shape cut out of the center. The crust was a little better than the Cranberry, but there was only a small bite of apple filling. The cherry was by far the best! My husband, daughter and I all were in agreement that this one was amazing. These weren’t crumbling; the sticks stayed put through most of it and it had a wonderful flavor and soft buttery crust.

I could really see these being a staple at wedding or barbeques.

The other great thing included was Andrea’s cookbook, Easy As Pie Pops. It is 175 full color pages. The book includes 5 sections; fresh and fruity pie pops, sweet and sophisticated pie pops, scrumptious and savory pie pops, cake pops, and tea time mini loafs. Before you get to any recipes, there is a section introducing you to pie pops, telling you what tools you need, and explaining the technique for both crust and filling.

I have not had a chance to try out any of the recipes but I have taken to the time to bookmark the ones I will try first! I am most looking forward to the savory pops. How unique! I can only hope that these recipes will come out as good as the ones she made.

Cakewalk Facebook 
Cakewalk Website


This post was originally posted at WAHM Review and is being cross posted here by the original author.  I received no monetary compensation for this review, however I was provided with the product for free for purposes of review.  All opinions are my own. Click here see our full disclosure policy.


  1. I tried some of the recipes in the book. I didnt get them to come out nearly as pretty, but they were super tasty!

  2. These are super fun! This sounds like a nice book to have. I know mine would not be as pretty as the ones in the pic.