Saturday, September 21, 2013

Grain-Free Cinnamon-Chai Mini Donuts


One of the hardest parts of eating grain free, I think, is when it comes to desserts - I've been really missing having the occasional donut, so I figured it was time to try making some.  I'd bought a mini-donut pan awhile back but didn't try using it until today.  It worked very nicely!



This is a very basic recipe - as I've mentioned before, when I try new things, I like to work it out as a basic, 'master' recipe and then think of variations.  My inclination, honestly, was to shake  them up while hot in some cinnamon-sugar, but it's been so long since we've even used granulated sugar (even rapadura) that I didn't have any on hand.  Some sort of frosted spread, a sprinkling of nuts - these would jazz these up nicely.

But meanwhile, there are lovely cakelike little bites just as they are - I had to take this picture very quickly before they got devoured.  I've no idea how long they keep - these will be eaten long before they risk getting stale.

Cinnamon-Chai Mini-Donuts (Grain-Free)
(makes about 18 mini donuts)

1 1/3 cups blanched almond flour
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1/4 tsp. ground cloves
3 eggs, whisked
1/4 coconut oil or ghee, melted
2 Tblsp. honey or maple syrup
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract

Into a blender, combine flour, salt, baking soda and spices.  Pulse to combine.  Add eggs, oil, honey and vanilla.  Blend for a couple minutes so that the batter is very smooth.  Stop and use a spatula if needed  to ensure all the almond flour is thoroughly moistened.

Grease a mini-donut pan and pour the batter into each mold 2/3 of the way full. Bake for 10 minutes at 350F.  Turn out of pan onto  a rack to cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment